Raw Beef Soup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono760

Cook
I went to a Vietnamese restaurant the other day and had a "satay beef soup". When the soup arrived at the table, the beef was raw, but the soup was hot. Being naturally adventurous, I ate it and felt fine. But I wonder, could that have been unsafe? Has anyone had experience with that kind of soup? Was it cured?

Mike

It is not unsafe. You put the beef in the soup and it cooks right then, keeping it tender and not overcooked. It was probably sliced filet. If it were unsafe the Health Department would have something to say about it and they wouldn't be serving the soup. I have had this type of soup myself and love it!

It is sort of a fondue - I've seen similar recipes in a fondue book.

Sort of - the exception here is you eat the broth it is cooked in too. Theory is definitely the same. Good point.

crono - did you eat the beef raw? Is that why you asked?

I tried some of the raw beef, which may have been bad? But mainly I waited until it cooked.

People eat raw beef all the time. It was probably frozen first to slice it very thin. You'll be fine. Unless something is intended to be eaten raw on a menu I wouldn't do it though - just for future reference.

I eat carpaccio all the time, haven't died yet! I'll take my chances not worrying about it. Cars crash too, but we still drive...

Heck, most places I go overcook my meat, I've love to get it RAW just once when I ask for medium rare! hahah

There is little better than carpaccio and sashimi.

Raw pork, although with the way piggies are raised today the chance of eating trichinella is slim to none, somehow does not appeal to me. Nor does raw fowl.

But that dish from the Vietnamese restaurant sounds great.

I agree-- when it's intended to be eaten that way, raw beef is fine. Carpaccio really is wonderful... I eat it all the time, too, and have never been sick. I wouldn't worry about it being unsafe.

Back
Top Bottom