Help on stainless steel pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcampcook

Senior Cook
Several weeks ago, I bought a T-Fal 10 inch stainless steel frying pan.

Everything sticks to the bottom.

I have tried to season it like a cast iron with no luck. I have tried to heat it up at low temp and add shortening and at high temp and add shortening.

I have tried Crisco, oil, butter, olive oil and all kinds of combinations.
Potatoes, onions, meat and everything else sticks.

Any suggestions besides chucking the dang thing in the trash??
Bob

Bob, this can be really frustrating!

First, SS does not benefit from seasoning.

The keys to success are to start with a shiny clean pan and ensure the fat and the pan are up to temperature before adding any food.

Then, when you add food, it will stick initially but will release as a crust forms. The hard part is not trying to unstick the food before that happens. You have to leave it alone for a couple of minutes.

Is this pan a single ply of SS or does it include some kind of layering of aluminum?

SS frying pan

Andy, I am not sure on the layers. I threw the wrapper away, of course!

I tried it with heating the pan and oil this morning with hashbrowns and waited. Still got about a 1/16th inch stcik on the bottom.

Night before last,the breaded pork chops were a bit more successful.

My usual routine is to heat the pan, then when it is up to temp, add the oil/shortening and let that come to heat before adding the ingredients.

...My usual routine is to heat the pan, then when it is up to temp, add the oil/shortening and let that come to heat before adding the ingredients.

This is a perfectly acceptable approach. The real key is that both the pan and the fat are up to temp before you add the food.

When dealing with starchy foods like potatoes, make sure you have enough fat in the pan and as soon as you add the potatoes, toss quickly to coat the potato with the fat then proceed as you did with the meat.

I got an All Clad 12" non stick skillet for my B-Day to add to my collection (my wallet thanks you Andy and Jennyma)...anyway, I can't even cook in non stick anymore. I tried some chicken breasts but couldn't "become one with the pan", if you get my drift.

Good thing I don't eat eggs often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom