5.2 earthquake in Illinois this morning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
This morning at 4:37, folks in Illinois were nudged awake when a 5.2 earthquake occurred. As I understand the epicenter was in the Mt. Carmel/West Salem area.

How are you DCers who live in Illinois and the surrounding areas doing?

Connie, what say you? Some roads cracked/buckled in Cairo, you must've felt something.

Last edited:
I heard about that I was wondering about you!
Everything ok at the shop?

We felt it all right. Kim was on the commode when it started shaking! I was in the water bed with my sound machine set on ocean surf, so I felt like I was rocking in the waves.

My daughter lives in a manufactured home, and she said it was really rattling.

We haven't had one this big since '68. I was visiting my parents with my baby girl, and had to leave on the train that day to go back to Louisiana. There was a big old wooden railroad bridge that crossed high over the Ohio river, and we were the first train across it after the quake.
The officials said they had walked the bridge, and everything looked OK, but I was very nervous, especially when the train slowed down to a crawl when it got to the bridge.
I clutched my baby in my arms and prayed hard as I could. I guess everyone else was doing the same thing, because it was so quiet in that railroad car, you could have heard a pin drop.I remember it seemed like it took forever to get across that bridge, and after we did, everyone applauded and cheered.

Last edited:
Connie - you paint a rather comical picture to such a scary thing! You just can't make stuff like that up :LOL:

Glad you are ok and I'm hoping for the best for everyone else.

Thanks, Katie. The earthquake center says this one was a 4.5. It sure seemed stronger...maybe it's just because I was awake this time.

I'm glad you are both OK. Here's a funny story: When I was about 13, living in Michigan, my sister and I had had a fight and she went stomping off to her room. A few minutes later, the windows rattled and I yelled at her to stop stomping. She said she wasn't, she was lying down in bed. Turned out, we had a small Earthquake - extremely rare for SE MI.

I'm glad everyone who has checked in is okay, and I hope we hear the same soon from other members in the area.

GG, I have a story similar to yours. I am one of those horrible leg bouncers that no one wants to sit next to (I don't like to sit near leg bouncers either!). I bounce or shake my legs all the time (I have bad knees, and I have noticed that when I don't move my legs a lot, they hurt worse). Anyway, my mom and I were sitting on the couch one day. (We lived in San Diego County, CA) I asked her, "Did you feel that earthquake?" She said, "No, I thought you were shaking your leg." :LOL:

:)Barbara

I wonder what's up earth-wise. We had a small quake here in Texas a couple of days ago (but nowhere near me). They are not completely unheard of here but definitely unusual. Ours was a 3.7.

This morning at 4:37, folks in Illinois were nudged awake when a 5.2 earthquake occurred. As I understand the epicenter was in the Mt. Carmel/West Salem area.

How are you DCers who live in Illinois and the surrounding areas doing?

Connie, what say you? Some roads cracked/buckled in Cairo, you must've felt something.

I'm about over 200 miles north of the location of the earthquake and felt 2 aftershocks. And it was just aftershocks. It lasted just a few seconds, no damage or anything.

I must have slept thru it or something, we didn't feel a thing here in Chicago. Glad everyone is OK down there. Must have been three months ago or so we watched a show on the New Madrid fault line and the quakes that changed the course of the Mississippi River. They did projections on the damage it would do to St. Louis as well as showing these interesting features where during the quakes sand would shoot up out of the ground. You can still see them to this day in the fields.

Yeah, Maverick, the New Madrid Fault is a gooder. Although, today's quake wasn't along the New Madrid Fault. It was along another one, but I can't remember the name of it right now.

Buck and I live right over the New Madrid Fault and experienced some shakin' compliments of it a few years ago. Some damage to our house and some of the businesses in our little town.

I've been in other earthquakes, so knew immediately what was happening this morning.

The news report only says it appeared to involve an extension of the New Madrid fault but doesn't give it a name that I could find.
I am just surprised we had no idea it happened and they say it shook the sky scrapers here in Chicago!
Seems to be the story of my life, I sleep thru everything!! Hey, now you guys know that if I am awake all is well and you only have to worry if I am sleeping! LOL.

The second quake (4.6) at about 10:15 was an attention-getter, too.

I was sitting, alone, in my office on the second floor of our house. Was on the computer. Suddenly I felt as though someone had pushed me from behind, then I remembered I was by myself. At that second, the computer monitor started moving from side to side and my desk began gently shaking. Next, the pictures and things on the walls began to sway and clang about. The whole thing lasted a few seconds, but a lot happened in those seconds. Haven't felt anything else for the remainder of the day.

I'm new, and this is my first post here, but I relocated to Georgia when I remarried five years ago, and received an email from southern IL, where I lived before my marriage, and found that they were shaken badly, not only from the initial quake, but also from an aftershock a few hours later. I had not heard about the roads buckling in Cairo, but since it is directly on the New Madrid fault line, I'm not totally surprised. I came from the Herrin/Marion/Carbondale area, about 40 miles north of there and according to my email, everything was fine there.

Back
Top Bottom