Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   5.2 earthquake in Illinois this morning (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/5-2-earthquake-in-illinois-this-morning-45298.html)

Katie H 04-18-2008 10:23 AM

5.2 earthquake in Illinois this morning

This morning at 4:37, folks in Illinois were nudged awake when a 5.2 earthquake occurred. As I understand the epicenter was in the Mt. Carmel/West Salem area.

How are you DCers who live in Illinois and the surrounding areas doing?

Connie, what say you? Some roads cracked/buckled in Cairo, you must've felt something.

suziquzie 04-18-2008 10:27 AM

I heard about that I was wondering about you!
Everything ok at the shop?

Katie H 04-18-2008 10:31 AM

We're fine. Didn't really feel much here. Haven't been to the shop yet, but I'm sure everything's okay there.

Constance 04-18-2008 10:37 AM

We felt it all right. Kim was on the commode when it started shaking! I was in the water bed with my sound machine set on ocean surf, so I felt like I was rocking in the waves.

My daughter lives in a manufactured home, and she said it was really rattling.

We haven't had one this big since '68. I was visiting my parents with my baby girl, and had to leave on the train that day to go back to Louisiana. There was a big old wooden railroad bridge that crossed high over the Ohio river, and we were the first train across it after the quake.
The officials said they had walked the bridge, and everything looked OK, but I was very nervous, especially when the train slowed down to a crawl when it got to the bridge.
I clutched my baby in my arms and prayed hard as I could. I guess everyone else was doing the same thing, because it was so quiet in that railroad car, you could have heard a pin drop.I remember it seemed like it took forever to get across that bridge, and after we did, everyone applauded and cheered.

kitchenelf 04-18-2008 10:49 AM

Connie - you paint a rather comical picture to such a scary thing! You just can't make stuff like that up :lol:

Glad you are ok and I'm hoping for the best for everyone else.

Constance 04-18-2008 10:53 AM

You're right about that!

They said on the news that there were no injuries, thank heavens.

Constance 04-18-2008 11:16 AM

Whoa! We just had another one...felt stronger than the first. The house REALLY shook this time!

Katie H 04-18-2008 11:18 AM

I just felt, about 2 minutes ago, an aftershock. Shook my chair and things on the wall swayed and rattled. It's a bizarre feeling for sure.

Glad you're okay, Connie.

Constance 04-18-2008 11:38 AM

Thanks, Katie. The earthquake center says this one was a 4.5. It sure seemed stronger...maybe it's just because I was awake this time.

GotGarlic 04-18-2008 12:23 PM

I'm glad you are both OK. Here's a funny story: When I was about 13, living in Michigan, my sister and I had had a fight and she went stomping off to her room. A few minutes later, the windows rattled and I yelled at her to stop stomping. She said she wasn't, she was lying down in bed. Turned out, we had a small Earthquake - extremely rare for SE MI.