Lace cookies recipe anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omgheather

Assistant Cook
I am in love with this chewy lacy cookies. But they are so expensive in the bakeries. Does anyone have a recipe for them? I like the ones with a thin layer of chocolate in between the lace cookies.

Thanks!

Here my recipe that I've used for years and the cookies are beautiful and crisp, not hard...

Lace Cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar

Blend flour and nuts in your food processor until the nuts are coarsely ground and incorporated with the flour.

Bring corn syrup, shortening and brown sugar to boil in saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. When at a full, rolling boil, remove from heat and gradually stir in the flour and nuts.

Drop by teaspoonsful about 3 inches apart onto a well-oiled baking sheet. It is best if you cook no more than 9 at a time to accommodate the spreading that creates the lace effect.

Bake in a preheated 375-degree (F) oven for 5 to 6 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow to stand 5 minutes to harden slightly before removing from pan.

I’ve not made sandwich cookies with these, but have often “painted” the tops with tempered chocolate, which is outstanding!

I roll up these Lace Cookies into what the French call Cigares à l’érable – then serve them later filled with Maple-Cream Mousse with a few spoonfuls of Hazelnut Crème Anglaise.

2 Tbsp soft butter
1/3 cup superfine granulated sugar
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
4 tsps liquid honey (I use wildflower)
4 tsps (dark) pure maple syrup
3 Tbsp heavy cream (35%)
1 tsp flour
¾ cup ground almonds

Heat oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with a silicone pad such as Silpat. Butter six unpainted wooden dowels (found at hardware stores) the thickness of a kitchen broom handle.

In small heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar, corn syrup, honey, maple syrup, cream, and flour. Bring to the boil and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in the ground almonds.

Remove from heat and divide batter into 6 rounds on baking sheets – leaving lots of space for expansion of the batter. Bake for 5-6 minutes, or until completely golden. Remove from oven and loosen the edges with a palette knife. Working quickly, roll around the buttered sticks. If they become too hard to roll, return them to the oven for a few moments to make them pliable again. Whe cool, remove the forms and store in a tightly covered container.

Of course, these cookies can be eaten unrolled as well.

Dear Mr. Konditor!!!

I think that I shall immediately abdicate my recipe for yours....I just love the cream/syrup/honey addition and can only imagine the richness of these! And the technique, yes! I have quite a few jars of maple cream that I made recently and another gallon of maple on standby. I shall be experimenting!

Danke!

Frau Audeo: My, oh my, what a splendid pantry you must have – with jars of maple cream on hand!

Serve these cigares on your most elegantly designed plates. (Villeroy & Boch are my long-time favorite patterns.)

Genieβen!

I know of no greater, more stringent bicep workout than making Maple Cream! And as I and my family love it so, it remains on hand, yes!

Villeroy & Boch has designed some lovely patterns, especially vintage, but I would not serve these cooking on anything less than third-generation Haviland from Limoges!

I do look forward to serving these delicacies very soon!

Back
Top Bottom