Frog in my greenhouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Our house faces the south, and we have a 28x12' passive solar greenhouse across the front that connects with the living area of the house through 3 sets of sliding patio doors.

Keeping that in mind...I kept hearing a noise that sounded like I had a nasty old starling roosting in the front entry or under the eaves somewhere close. I looked around and couldn't find anything, but kept hearing the noise.
DH is somewhat hard-of-hearing from working with heavy equipment most of his life, but when he finally did hear the noise, he said it sounded like it was in the house.

The next time he heard it, he laughed and said it was a frog...probably a tree frog...that came in with the plants when we moved them in from the deck last fall. It may have burrowed into a pot, or even hatched from eggs.
Once he said that, it was obvious.

So...the frog serenades us from time to time. :LOL:

That's so funny Constance. It's weird how they will only make the sound at certain times. When my 2 oldest sons used to live in the guest house, one had a 100 gallon aquarium that he kept frogs and lizards in. It was pretty cool looking. Anyway, whenever I would go out there to vacuum the rugs, I would hear this really LOUD noise. I was convinced there was something wrong with the vac! It was a long time before I discovered it was the tree frogs "singing". Apparently vacuum cleaners get them very excited! But it still amazes me how loud those little frogs are!

We have a frog who goes round and round the house, he has a ribbit that almost makes the house tremble, but he is the size of a half dollar..This little guy just loves Cade..he sometimes will stay quiet when on the patio, but let Cade come outside and he will make a sound..When Cade starts saying Hi to him that fool frog answers him, it's the funniest thing...Cade can get that frog to talk and shows it off to his mom and dad all the time..The little bugger won't answer me, just Cade...Go figure.
kadesma:)

lol, kitty. don't tell me. the royal marines??? :rolleyes: (see the thread about loppraine's ducks for an explanation)

connie, when he starts singing like al jolson, you'll be rich!

oh, my, I love frogs and toads.......if they are around then Mother Nature is in balance and they bring good luck......I'm always excited to see them in my garden.......if you have no bugs then you have no frogs to eat the bugs then you're ecosystem is totally out of balance,,,,,,,,,,,,too many harmful chemicals more than likely..............

Once a week, I have to work at the "Halfway House" on the golf course. There is a series of ponds formed by damming a small stream in front of the HH. Last year, there were about 4 large bullfrogs and about 6 small bullfrogs in the pond and stream. This year, there are over a dozen good-sized bullfrogs.

The only problem???

I DON'T HAVE A FROG GIG!!!

you wanna another expat story????? I am going to have to write a book.............when I was teaching elementary science one of the kids brought in a rather large frog......maybe not a bullfron but no lightweight either........then another student brought in a friend to keep him company..........the next morning to my horror there is only "Brutus" in the aquarium..........how did Houdini escape........lid is on, etc, etc.......then I look more closely ...........Brutus is bulging in the gut.........yep.....sorry for the gruesome details but little guy was being slowly cannibalized and giving nutritional appeasement..........I have never been so shocked in my life..........could I tell the kids????? Nope, for me it had to be a coverup------my brain couldn't have wrapped around it any other way.........too many sensitive souls out there........well, that was the smartest frog ever..........guys.......pushed that lid up and hopped to one of the nearest ponds.......and they bought it and my conscience was clear........did ask the owner to please take his Donner party home, however........as I knew other kids would want to be offering friends to ease his bereavement.........

If I forgot to emphsize........Brutus had tons of insects to choose from........I taught 5 different classes a day and these were loving kids who made sure that this amphibian didn't starve but but no one even suspected that he was Hannibal Lechter..........esp his acquarium mate.........

Good stories....classic science/life lessons there, expatgirl! I have had about four frogs piggyback their way to my house via plants (xmas tree too!) I have brought home from the nursery that I frequent...sad thing is it's pretty arid where I live so they don't hang out for very long.... except a few days ago I found a wee one living in this urn/fountain that I put in the yard - hope he makes it! I like hearing them...

Back
Top Bottom