Earth Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Planting a purple japanese maple and some herbs - purple ruffle basil - a purple day on green day for me:cool:

I work in a small office. Every few weeks or so someone from my office goes to Cosco to stock up on snacks and kitchen supplies. This morning we were unloading the supplies and the guy that buys the stuff mentioned that we go through so many paper coffee cups. I suggested that we should buy everyone in the office a mug with our company logo on it. I also mentioned that today, being Earth day, would be the perfect time to do it. Right there on the spot we went and placed the order. We also ordered stainless steel water canisters for everyone too. Now we will have no excuse for using disposable paper cups.

My wifes company is turning off their printers today for the entire day. They are also planting a tree.

i'm using the dirt from a part of a neighbors yard to fill in around my foundation so the water runs off instead of flooding my basement. my neighbor is expanding his driveway, so he had to get rid of several yards of dirt. better used on my foundation than dumped somewhere, and now i don't have to buy the soil at home depot or lowe's.

I did not realize it was earth day today... I also forgot it was primary day here in PA so I am a bit out of it......

Coincidentally though last night I connected with some people I know in my neighborhood who are interested in revitalising one of the community gardens that has fallen into neglect...This is an exciting prospect to me for a couple reasons. first I have a small property and not enough room to grow all the stuff I want, second it is something that will help beautify the community (we need it) and third it is a way to get to know more people in the 'hood too... so while it has nothing to do with "earth day" per se it just so happens that I am excited about this prospect today.

Spent the day reminding everyone I met that it was Earth day, and encouraging people to pay attention to the details....before it's too late. I've reduced my carbon footprint dramatically in the past 6 months.

I remember the first Earth day and thinking was a quirky idea. That was before global warming, landfills overflowing with diapers, water bottles and candied christmas cherries. Then, it was weird to be green. Now, green is the new 'black', and I'm glad of it.

Please don't assume you only have to protect your planet once a year. Even if you are the only one on your block recycling, don't give up. More and more people are getting the bigger picture.

Please consider a brand new thermos this year instead of 365 water bottles per person. Please consider a thermal lunch sack instead of an endless parade of plastic supermarket bags. Please consider wax paper or butcher paper instead of plastic wrap. Please consider reusable tupperware type containers for sending the kids to school instead of prepackaged snacks. Please plant something that will feed you, even if it's just a tiny parsley plant. Please please please buy as locally as you possibly can. There was a time when you simply didn't eat strawberries or peaches until it was summer. The idea of putting fruit on a plane is...well...you get the idea.

One person at a time, doing one thing greener, will make all the difference.

Oh yeah...stop smoking, please. The tobacco company doesn't give a hoot about you, and think of all the corn that could be planted instead of tobacco.....;)

Don't forget to walk barefoot, outside, sometime real soon...

Spent the day reminding everyone I met that it was Earth day, and encouraging people to pay attention to the details....before it's too late. I've reduced my carbon footprint dramatically in the past 6 months.

I remember the first Earth day and thinking was a quirky idea. That was before global warming, landfills overflowing with diapers, water bottles and candied christmas cherries. Then, it was weird to be green. Now, green is the new 'black', and I'm glad of it.

Please don't assume you only have to protect your planet once a year. Even if you are the only one on your block recycling, don't give up. More and more people are getting the bigger picture.

Please consider a brand new thermos this year instead of 365 water bottles per person. Please consider a thermal lunch sack instead of an endless parade of plastic supermarket bags. Please consider wax paper or butcher paper instead of plastic wrap. Please consider reusable tupperware type containers for sending the kids to school instead of prepackaged snacks. Please plant something that will feed you, even if it's just a tiny parsley plant. Please please please buy as locally as you possibly can. There was a time when you simply didn't eat strawberries or peaches until it was summer. The idea of putting fruit on a plane is...well...you get the idea.

One person at a time, doing one thing greener, will make all the difference.

Oh yeah...stop smoking, please. The tobacco company doesn't give a hoot about you, and think of all the corn that could be planted instead of tobacco.....;)

Don't forget to walk barefoot, outside, sometime real soon...

:clap:

Thank you!

Oh, and I go barefoot as much as I can!;)

Our friend/garden man was here today, and when he was cleaning up, he found 2 morel mushrooms growing right by our deck. We've left them, so maybe they'll spread. We also found a lot of young buckeye trees coming up that were planted by the squirrels.
Then we went for a ride in the golf cart down the oil well roads behind us. They go through the bottoms, and the red buds and dogwoods are in bloom, along with the wild delphinium, red trillium and spring beauties. Wild ginger, Dutchman's britches, trout lilies and May apples are up also.

We may not have planted anything, but we did celebrate the beauty of nature. I think that's a pretty good way to celebrate Earth Day.

Our friend/garden man was here today, and when he was cleaning up, he found 2 morel mushrooms growing right by our deck. We've left them, so maybe they'll spread. We also found a lot of young buckeye trees coming up that were planted by the squirrels.
Then we went for a ride in the golf cart down the oil well roads behind us. They go through the bottoms, and the red buds and dogwoods are in bloom, along with the wild delphinium, red trillium and spring beauties. Wild ginger, Dutchman's britches, trout lilies and May apples are up also.

We may not have planted anything, but we did celebrate the beauty of nature. I think that's a pretty good way to celebrate Earth Day.

Great idea, Connie. It looks a lot like that here, too. The redbuds absolutely "light up" the woods here. Sooooo beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom