Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Substitutions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f128/)
-   -   Roasted Asparagus-Pasta Toss (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f128/roasted-asparagus-pasta-toss-45453.html)

Foodfiend 04-23-2008 10:38 AM

Roasted Asparagus-Pasta Toss

Hi, since I have problems copying and pasting I'm going to type out the recipe and then ask the question.

Roasted Asparagus-Pasta Toss

Okay, here's the question. The recipe looked good and I'd like to try it out on my family, but I don't like deviating from a recipe I personally haven't tried out first. I'll go to tweak mode if it turned out good on the test run. I have a sister who is allergic to poultry items so I can't use the chicken broth in this recipe. I don't want to use water in place but will if I have to. Can I exchange the chicken broth with a vegetable broth? I'd try a seafood broth except I'm allergic to shellfish, so I'm leary of that. What would your suggestion(s) be for a broth substitute? Thank you.

pdswife 04-23-2008 10:41 AM

Sure veggie broth would work. Taste would be slightly different but still good.

Foodfiend 04-23-2008 10:48 AM

Thanks. Would I need to up some different spices in it to make up for the different taste, or let it go at that?

kitchenelf 04-23-2008 10:49 AM

Hi - where did the recipe come from? i.e., which site or cookbook?

GotGarlic 04-23-2008 10:51 AM

You could also use a mixture of veggie broth and a semi-dry white wine.

GotGarlic 04-23-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foodfiend (Post 592376)
Thanks. Would I need to up some different spices in it to make up for the different taste, or let it go at that?

I don't think the chicken flavor is necessary to the dish. It will be different with a different liquid, but that's fine :smile:

pdswife 04-23-2008 10:52 AM

The white wine does sound like a good addition!

*amy* 04-23-2008 11:44 AM

I would go with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic & herbs i.e.

Greek Salad Dressing

Greek Pasta Salad

kitchenelf 04-23-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

but I don't like deviating from a recipe I personally haven't tried out first.
amy - I think the OP wants to basically make the recipe in front of them versus changing it to something completely different.

Great ideas though.

*amy* 04-23-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchenelf (Post 592436)
amy - I think the OP wants to basically make the recipe in front of them versus changing it to something completely different.

Great ideas though.

The only change is substituting the broth for the dressing. Instead of:

While the penne and asparagus are cooking, combine the chicken broth, butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted.

Use the oil, garlic, herb, lemon juice dressing in place of a broth/butter mixture. It won't change it to something completely different, & will pair nicely w the asparagus, pine nuts & pasta. (The second link is to get an idea of the dressed pasta etc.) Broth can be a little bland. Just my opinion.