ISO feedback on Shun knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boondocker

Assistant Cook
Does anybody own one? I'm looking at possibly picking one up, most likely a utility knife. I am unfamiliar with damascus knives though, as in how to care and sharpen them. I'm using a global GF-36 for most of my everyday prep work and I also use my Wusthof 8" chef's knife for some stuff too, but would like more of a slicer for use during service and then I plan on upgrading to a 10" chef knife of some sort this summer once I get my raise :D

Last edited:
on the Shun damascus:
Simply put, the blade has a core of VG-10 steel (which is incredibly sharp, durable, great edge retention, and very expensive.) which is sandwiched between 32 layers of SUS410 High-carbon stainless (16 on either side).
This provides the cosmetic effect that true damascus steel has.
The cutting edge is the only point where the VG-10 is exposed.

Care:
really similar to more traditional western knives such as Wusthofs, just dont try to split lobsters or chickens with a generic Shun Classic chef knife, they will warp. For sharpening, you want a 1000 and a 6000 grit wet-stone and a non-coarse, or even better, smooth honing rod. They sharpen and hone at 16 degrees as opposed to the 19-22 degrees most other western knives do.

and about the Utility knive you mentioned, the Shun [classic] model is razor razor sharp....but VERY malliable. So you got to be careful about manhandling or putting the knife in a position to bend (mine came slightly bent in the box, but i fixed it with 2 fingers.). Its great for showpieces, garnishes, and dealing with fleshy fruit. I skinned a raspberry for kicks :angel:

side note: This is something i heard from a friend, but a co-worker of his has a shun classic with the resin pakkawood handle and supposedly uses it so much the resin is waring down into almost an hourglass shape. If you are afraid of that, they make an all-stainless series of Shun classic knives.

I hope this helps :)

I have half a dozen Shuns and like them very much. I actually prefer my 10" Shun Classic chef knife to my $270 Hattori Forum Gyuto. The Shuns take a good edge and are very comfortable to use with great ergonomics.

Hard to beat at the price, IMOHO.

I just ordered the shun classic 10" chef's knife and plan on ordering their petty knife in the future probably. My boss told me he has only found one 7" suji since he started collecting knives, but i can't remember the brand name. I think it was a carbon steel interior with a stainless exterior. I am very excited to get this knife, and i wil have to chop off anybodies hand who tries to use it at work

I just ordered the shun classic 10" chef's knife and plan on ordering their petty knife in the future probably. My boss told me he has only found one 7" suji since he started collecting knives, but i can't remember the brand name. I think it was a carbon steel interior with a stainless exterior. I am very excited to get this knife, and i wil have to chop off anybodies hand who tries to use it at work

Ouch!:ROFLMAO: True, you will want to keep people away from your Shun. Any hard, thin bladed knife will be more vulnerable to chipping and damage from mishandling. Always cut on a wooden, bamboo or plastic cutting board, and keep the ridged steel far away! You can true your Shun by running very lightly on a smooth steel or a glass or ceramic rod.

I've never seen a sujihiki that short- 7"? Normally they're quite a bit larger. I can't think of many uses for one shorter than 240mm or so...it would basically be a petty.

Just out of curiousity, where did you order it from?

BTW, the 6" Shun Classic utility knife has to be the most of all utility/petties! I absolutely love mine. It doesn't get used as much as the chef knife but when I do need it it's awesome.

he uses it for portioning our ribeyes after he takes out the eye, then rolls the rest up with garlic shallots and herbs. delicious

Hey, anyone own or used a Shun Pro/Pro2? What they like aside from sharpening methods? I have only held a Pro1 Deba, and am wondering if they are any more practical than the Classic line.

Hey, anyone own or used a Shun Pro/Pro2? What they like aside from sharpening methods? I have only held a Pro1 Deba, and am wondering if they are any more practical than the Classic line.

Don't know what you mean by more practical, but I have a Shun Pro2 12" Yanagiba which I use for breaking down fish and portioning fish. It's definitely my favorite knife.

IMHO S30V is superior.
on the Shun damascus:
Simply put, the blade has a core of VG-10 steel (which is incredibly sharp, durable, great edge retention, and very expensive.) which is sandwiched between 32 layers of SUS410 High-carbon stainless (16 on either side).
This provides the cosmetic effect that true damascus steel has.
The cutting edge is the only point where the VG-10 is exposed.

Care:
really similar to more traditional western knives such as Wusthofs, just dont try to split lobsters or chickens with a generic Shun Classic chef knife, they will warp. For sharpening, you want a 1000 and a 6000 grit wet-stone and a non-coarse, or even better, smooth honing rod. They sharpen and hone at 16 degrees as opposed to the 19-22 degrees most other western knives do.

and about the Utility knive you mentioned, the Shun [classic] model is razor razor sharp....but VERY malliable. So you got to be careful about manhandling or putting the knife in a position to bend (mine came slightly bent in the box, but i fixed it with 2 fingers.). Its great for showpieces, garnishes, and dealing with fleshy fruit. I skinned a raspberry for kicks :angel:

side note: This is something i heard from a friend, but a co-worker of his has a shun classic with the resin pakkawood handle and supposedly uses it so much the resin is waring down into almost an hourglass shape. If you are afraid of that, they make an all-stainless series of Shun classic knives.

I hope this helps :)

Just registered...so I'm a little late to this thread.

I have a mix of Classics and Elites. The 6" Classic utility is really, really sharp. One thing to watch...there is no bolster. I've knicked my finger a number of times on the heel of the blade...it kind of rides right up to the handle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom