"All good chefs drink."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
A quote from No Reservations.

So is there some truth in that? I mean, even on some of the television shows you get hints that the host likes to throw a few down. I wonder how it would affect my cooking if there was no booze in the house? I like to have a cocktail or glass of wine while I'm cooking to fire up my taste buds and 'put me in the mood'. Sometimes the flavor of what I'm drinking will reflect on the final outcome of the dish.

Can anyone else relate?

I can honestly say that I know NO Chef, that is a tea totaler. I know some that you could consider down right party till you drop kinda people, then ones that you would never know in a million years that they go home and have a liter of vodka every night.

Matter of fact, in restaurant settings, especially busy ones, it seems as though everyone has a vice...I know everone has a vice, but cooks/chefs/waitron/managers/utility workers etc...all of them clock out and go do what they do.

that being said, I do enjoy a good stiff drink, especially after a 16 hour day.

A drink is definitely nice after a long day, but I know people who have several stiff drinks before one meal is completely cooked. Then they have many more drinks during dinner.

Graham Kerr. My hero.
:wacko:

Nothing like helping build a healthy appetite in my opinion.

Wow-I never paid any attention to cooking/drinking connection, but now that you mention it I recall seeing Cat Cora doing a shot of Ouzo on Iron Chef....and it seems like the contestants on Top Chef always have a beer or a glass of wine in their hand.

Man, I'll bet I would have been one heck of a chef when I was younger!!:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently watched an episode of Boy Meets Grill where Flay opens up the show holding a coffee mug. He goes through the menu, yadda yadda, puts the mug down and says "Say goodbye to your coffee." LOL or something along those lines. Then makes some sort of Bourbon cocktail. :LOL:

Sandra Lee seems like a party girl. Not a chef per-se, but she loves making those cocktails at the end of the show. lol

I guess if Keith Richards was a health nut, The Stones wouldn't have made it past 1965. :ROFLMAO:

Your right. I had to laugh. Especially the Galloping Gourmet.
His was a pistol and everybody seemed to like him.
I've noticed this habit with house painters too.

So that is why I could never be a chef! I don't drink enough, well why didn't someone tell me sooner, now I have lost time to make up for!
Personally, I was 'blessed' with this reaction to alcohol, gives me bad heartburn. Of course when I was a kid, I could drink all night and not get hangovers, everybody hated that about me.
But now, no more than two or three times a year.

And let's not forget about Paul McCartney :huh:

Don't tell me he wasn't imbibing in something when he made those mashed potatoes :LOL:

There certainly are chefs and cooks who don't drink (although they may cook with wine etc) and many others who shouldn't anymore! However I enjoy a glass of wine or beer with a meal, and sometimes a fine sippin' whiskey afterwards. If I am cooking with firends over, I may have a glass of wine while I'm cooking but it rarely gets drunk until I'm done at the stove top. I don't like accidents of any kind.

many do, but fewer and fewer each year. Check out the culinary schools... smoking is on the decline even among the orally fixated cheffing profession

Honestly cooking really makes me want a drink. It sucks when I have to drive after dinner, I'm too paranoid to have even 1 before I drive.

Back
Top Bottom