Cost of wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
How much do you pay for a nice bottle of wine? My husband bought a grand rouge for $21 at some wine tasting store in a beautiful historical and touristic getaway near San Antonio. Is this an average cost for this type of wine or was it overpriced because of it's tourist location?

Dina, that's a question that has more than one answer. You can get decent, drinkable wines for under $10-$15 a bottle. You can also spend thousands of dollars for a bottle and all the prices in between.

$21 for a bottle of wine could be a great price or too much. You really can't say unless you know the wine. Also, it's very subjective, While one person may think $21 for a specific bottle is a good price, another person who dislikes that wine may think it's not worth it.

The real bottom line for wines is that you are drinking someting you like. What you paid for it will not always determine that.

My new found love are Vendange wines. A 1.5 for $7.99! Great taste too. The pinot grigio is very comparable to others at a higher price. The chardonnay isn't too oaky. They make a blend called Symphony that is quite sweet along the lines of a reisling.

$7.99 LOL

I'm with Andy M. on this one ... I'll pay whatever price for the wine I love. There are several that are under $10 that I would be willing to pay much more for. We've also paid alot more for wine that was just so - so to us. It's all on the tongue of the beholder :).

DW loved the Real Sangria we got for $5.95, imported from spain. The only other wine I have here is a Shiraz I am using in cooking, it was $6.95. I don't like wine, so DW does the taste tests to tell me what to buy.
I tell her which one I need (red, white, dry, sweet, ect.) and she picks out the one she likes the best. That pretty much does it for us. Other than that, the only wines I kinda liked came from Amana, their fruit wines. Loved the dandelion wine, strawberry, and cherry.

Gosh Dina, you have truly asked an impossible question to answer.

First of all a nice bottle of wine is the one you like to drink.

You can get a drinkable wine in the eight to twenty buck range, at least in my opinion.

Generally, to us, a decent red is cheaper than a decent white. Although we recently found a white we find very nice in the fifteen dollar range.

What you need to do is try some and discover what you like.

With wines there aint no roadmap.

And your taste for wines is yours. You are the only person who can tell what you like.

I wish I could give you a simple formula, and if I could find one I would abide by it.

There are a kazillion wines out there and the only recourse you have is your palate.

Try some, find what you like, and go on.

But I never buy a bottle of wine at a tourist place. They rely upon the people being on vacation and are free with their cash.

I have to admit, that in the highter price ranges here, you can find decent Argentinian, Chilean and South African wines but you're spending $20 plus abottle---can really add up if you have many guests over.......the opposite is equally bad......and I really mean bad.......so there is no happy balance....mostly guests do bring a decent bottle to share with everyone so it works out ...we're all in the same boat so guests do know

One day, I'll move away from Spain-- maybe back to the States. And while I'll miss the sea and the sun and the people, what I'll really miss is the CHEAP WINE! You can get a nice (not amazing, but tasty) bottle of wine here for under 3€... And a quite nice bottle for 6-7€. Boy, will I miss that. Reading these posts makes me realize how luck I am-- I never have to spend that much for nice wine!

Karenlyn, thats one thing I really really miss about Spain....all the wonderful wine and cheap! I love Rioja's, way more expensive to buy them in the US. Not so bad here in the UK, £12 will buy a tasty gran reserva.

I generally spend $8-$20 on a bottle of wine and find plenty of satifying wines in that range. For everyday wine I find it hard to spend more than $12 for something gone so fast.

Of my favorite wine types for pairing with food are Italian Dolcettas and Spainish Rioja they tend to be cheap and go well with a variety of foods.

I have a hard time with cheaper whites though a cheap oaky chardonnay gives me instant gag reflex

Gosh Dina, you have truly asked an impossible question to answer.

First of all a nice bottle of wine is the one you like to drink.

You can get a drinkable wine in the eight to twenty buck range, at least in my opinion.

Generally, to us, a decent red is cheaper than a decent white. Although we recently found a white we find very nice in the fifteen dollar range.

What you need to do is try some and discover what you like.

With wines there aint no roadmap.

And your taste for wines is yours. You are the only person who can tell what you like.

I wish I could give you a simple formula, and if I could find one I would abide by it.

There are a kazillion wines out there and the only recourse you have is your palate.

Try some, find what you like, and go on.

But I never buy a bottle of wine at a tourist place. They rely upon the people being on vacation and are free with their cash.

I just wanted a simple answer. I guess I didn't make myself clear. Who buys grand rouge and for how much?

Dina, I'm not familiar withgrand rouge other than to deduce it is a red wine. Can you give us some more info on that particular wine?

If you like a wine, it doesn't matter what cost it is. Try browsing the wine store and picking up a new one every one in a while to try - you may be surprised.

In Germany we found that alot of times, the cheapest wine tasted the best.

Again though, it depends on what types of wine you like.

I just made my first batch of wine ever last November.
Cost about $100 for the set up.
And I had loads and loads of kiwi's from the garden.
Took about months.
So lets see, $100 divided by 6 gallons hmmmm
Honestly, its ok to cook with, but I wouldnt say its anything great :)
Ill try to make improvements this year..

How much do you pay for a nice bottle of wine? My husband bought a grand rouge for $21 at some wine tasting store in a beautiful historical and touristic getaway near San Antonio. Is this an average cost for this type of wine or was it overpriced because of it's tourist location?

Generally I can find very enjoyable wines in the $12-$18 range. There are some $9 bottle wines that are good.. I have never had a cheap bottle (<$7) bottle I really enjoyed.

I have also had $45 a bottle wine that was nasty... Price doesn't mean everything, but it is an indicator to look at.

A couple questions about this wine

1. Who is the vintner?

2. What is the vintage?

3. Country of origin?

Those answers will help with your specific bottle of wine.

Last edited:
drink red and white

Our relatives work at a winery in Finger Lakes, NY. We enjoy their wines.
Red....usually a Taylor Red Port White Marcus James. Reasonable, delicious.

A couple questions about this wine

1. Who is the vintner?

2. What is the vintage?

3. Country of origin?

Those answers will help with your specific bottle of wine.

Thank you Elf! You are awsome! Here's the info from the label on the bottle. We paid $19.95 for it. It's a Grand Rouge sweet red wine.
1. Produced and bottled by Grape Creek Vineyards, Stonewall, Texas Texas Hill Country Winery and Vineyards, Frederickburg TX, Bed and Breakfast, Events, Weddings, Meetings, Wine - Home
2. 2006
3. USA (For sale in Texas only)

Back
Top Bottom