TNT Low sugar strawberry shortbread shortcake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I made this for my mil's birthday. She's diabetic and was quite pleased with the small amount of white sugar.

I used some beautiful Sequoia strawberries - they're as big as a small plum, so the slices were gorgeous! It's really easy, and very tasty.

Strawberry Shortbread Shortcake

4 c. fresh sliced strawberries
½ tsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1-3/4 c. flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
¼ c. butter
1 egg
3/4 c. sour cream
1 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. sugar

In a large ziploc bag, combine the strawberries and sugar; refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a bowl, sift together the next 5 ingredients. Cut butter into slices, then cut each slice into many tiny pieces. After each few, drop into flour mixture and shake to coat. When all butter pieces are in the flour, use a pastry mixer to blend. It will look like coarse crumbs. In another bowl, beat egg till frothy. Fold in sour cream. Add this to the flour/butter mixture and stir till just barely mixed. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead till smooth. You can keep adding a tiny bit of sifted flour, but go sparingly!
Form into a flattened disc and finish by using a rolling pin. Make dough into a 7½" circle. Place on either a parchment paper-lined or on a non-stick cookie sheet. Find the center and cut a 2" hole (so it looks like a doughnut).
Put the little circle on the sheet too - makes for a good tiny snack!

Bake for 12 minutes (or until golden). Transfer to a wire rack and let shortbread cool completely. At this point, you can wait hours till you serve, if needed. (No need to cover the shortbread)

When ready to serve: Split the shortbread horizontally, so you have two discs.
Whip the heavy cream till nearly done, add vanilla and sugar and finish whipping. Set aside.
On the bottom disc, spoon ½ of the chilled strawberries. Then add ½ of the whipped cream. Top with remaining disc. Spoon on remaining strawberries, followed by remaining whipped cream. (At this point, I like to grind on some fresh cinnamon and put a few spearmint sprigs on top)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dh had a great idea with this as well - make dough into 4 small rounds and instead of only strawberries, have a few different berries. Split the rounds as usual, but let each person make their own (such as blueberry, peach, raspberry, etc)

Last edited:
oops!
I added it - ¼ cup, or ½ of a stick. Thanks for being my editor!

Also, I gotta say - this is a beautiful dessert! Another pretty addition would be a few chocolate curls.

Last edited:
This looks so lovely! I'm very happy to see only a small amount of sugar and no splenda. So many people bake with splenda to replace sugar but it gives me awful stomach cramps...so no splenda for me!

Back
Top Bottom