Bison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
My local food store doesn't carry ALOT of things, but it recently started carrying bison steaks, medallions or whatever. Comes in a box from some company. Anyone ever try it? I might pick some up this weekend and give it a taste.:ermm:

Just bison burger, from the source, the place that raises them has a restaurant adjacent. Dry, but good.
Can't help you with a steak.

The burgers weren't gamey at all, just dry, but then I don't think deer burger is gamey. The steaks are another topic. I'll eat a venison steak (used to hunt, too), but don't tell me it's the same as beef.

Yeah, I read it was very lean.

I was going to just pick up a pack, grill one piece see what it tastes like. No sauce or anything.

If I was you I'd whip up some of that steak sauce you posted not too long ago.

Well, I never bought "Bison in a box" - but when I lived in Colorado I used to eat bison (American Buffalo) frequently. It is very lean - not gamey tasting at all - and compared to grass-fed beef, it was a little sweeter tasting.

:) Bison is not gamy at all I should know because I hate gamy meats. We eat bison all the time here. Just don't over cook it it should be cooked to medium rare or medium, burgers can be cooked longer. I think you will really like it.

I had the opportunity to eat some ribe-eyes a long time ago...The memory I have today is It was not gamey... a little more chewy than beef, but tender..and rich...Not sure what that means, but not a negative thing...I see the grind all the time in markets...sometimes steaks, but I never buy.

My local food store doesn't carry ALOT of things, but it recently started carrying bison steaks, medallions or whatever. Comes in a box from some company. Anyone ever try it? I might pick some up this weekend and give it a taste.:ermm:

As long as you don't cook it past medium rare, the texture really mirrors good beef. It's a whole lot leaner, as well as significantly lower in cholesterol. but if you overcook it, it will be inedible.

There's a bison farmer at the Union Square Greenmarket, and I have to say we really enjoy the steaks from time to time. Expensive, tho... but so is all grass fed meat.

Back
Top Bottom