ISO Tnt Onion Ring Batter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
I just walked into the kitchen and saw two very large Vidalia onions and I thought about onion rigns...I've tried several batter recipes and methods...dipping in this and that...double dipping etc...So...

What's your batter ricipe and method of cooking those crunchy, yummy Onion Rings????

I have one UBob that I use for anything deep fried - I love it !
1 cup flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. garlic Powder
1 egg
1 cup beer
1 T Hot sauce
whisk dry add to wet, let set 15 - 20 mins.
deep fry !!! Yum

My daughter just made onion rings with Vidalias and she used the Zatarains onion ring batter mix. She said it was very good. Haven't tried them myself but sounded good and I would try that if I was going to make them. Don't know if you have Zatarains brnad where you are or not. Rosemary

Uncle B you were reading my mind.
I was just pondering this last night while watching H***'s Kitchen.
It was family night, they served onion rings, and my brain started crankin'!

UB,
I'll fess up but no throwing anything..I go to the grocery and by a box of tempura batter and that is it..I sometimes will add a little garlic powder but..Most times just use it as is..Cold beer can be used instead of water tho:)
kades

1 1/2 cup flour, 1tsp salt, a little pepper, a little oil (1 or 2 tblsp), 2 egg yolks, add beer to thickness desired..

Always worked for me... Different beers will give different results. Don't use light beer... too much water.

I have one UBob that I use for anything deep fried - I love it !
1 cup flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. garlic Powder
1 egg
1 cup beer
1 T Hot sauce
whisk:ermm: dry add to wet, let set 15 - 20 mins.
deep fry !!! Yum

I almost read "whisk" as whiskey.... Now that would be some very nice onion rings...I can see them on the menu...Bourbon Flavored Vidalia Onion Rings...$7.50 :LOL:

I'm not as crazy about battered onion rings. I prefer the breaded version. But if you want a nice, light battered onion ring, simple mix together equal parts all-purpose flour, and cornstarch, about 1/2 cup each. Add 1/2 tsp. salt, and 2 tsp. baking powder. Mix in 3/4 cup water and stir until lumps are amost gone. Dip in the onion rings and fry until golden.

If you prefer, you can omit the baking powder and add the Co2 found in sparkling water, bear, or any sparkling beverage you choose to use.

For a light crunch, omit 1/2 of the flour and replace with 1/4 cup cream of wheat.

For breaded onion rings, make an egg wash. Dip the onion rings into the egg wash, and then dredge in flour. Dip again in the egg wash, then into seasoned bread crumbs. Fry until golden brown.

Another great onion dish requires a deep fryer. Make the same batter as you would for onion rings. But peel, then slice an onion nearly through from top to bottom, in 1/8 inch slices cris-crossing at right angles. Place the partially sliced onion in water and let sit for ten minutes to open it up. Dip in the batter and deep fry until golden to make an onion flower.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I almost read "whisk" as whiskey.... Now that would be some very nice onion rings...I can see them on the menu...Bourbon Flavored Vidalia Onion Rings...$7.50 :LOL: _

There ya go Uncle Bob ! Next new rave ! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom