Kitchen frustration (commercial regs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
I am/maybe/was going to set up a new kitchen for a Fish and Chip shop but keep running in to block walls with our inspectors.
"We can't make you put floor coving in but if we find the corners dirty during one of our inspections you will the have to do it" I was going to anyway.
"The exhaust canopy must suck out x volumn of air and be installed by a certified person. Q - "How much air should it suck out" A - "we will test the volumn after it is installed and the cookers in place"
Waste water
Floor grates must have filters = $800 each to buy
Sinks and basins must have filters = $400 each to buy
I have to install a water meter and buy my water at $1.30 per 1000 litres
Grease trap
Depending on the quality of waste water, if it's good one test a year, if it's bad eight tests a year at $250 per test.
If the water quality is good, pump the tank every three months. If it's bad, pump the tank once a week. At $800 a pump?:wacko:
Oh! I also have to pay them $x to treat my waste water, the dirtier it is the more expensive it is.
Q - "What quality is the water that comes out of a normal Fish and Chip shop?" A - "we will test your water over the first 12/14 weeks and let you know"

Now here's the crunch, if I don't comply they come and put a bung in the sewerage line and shut me down. My goodness me, is this worth the gamble:ROFLMAO:

You are learning an unfortunate lesson that is pretty similar here in the states; It is very hard to open a small restaurant anymore without a lot of capital.

In most areas of the US, you would have to hire an engineer to design your ventilation system, including a "make-up air" system to replace the air you are exhausting.

Your wastewater will not be of high quality because fried foods contribute a lot of grease to the system. Depending on how careful you are, it could be better or worse.

I can't tell you if it is worth it, but the statistics are pretty bleak for new restaurants in general and even bleaker for first time small restaurant owners.

From my personal experience, the work is very long and hard, and the pay is very short and soft

Good luck in whatever you decide.

>>you would have to hire an engineer to design your ventilation system,<<

Same here Mozart and they have to supply the certificate, the price I have for a 9' wide canopy is $9000 plus installation.

I have been cooking Fish and Chips for many years now but due to our landlords wanting to sell their building to an owner occupier has forced me out of a very successful business. I have all our equipment sitting in our shed at home, including a $60,000 cooker, looking for a new place of residence. I didn't bother taking the canopy as it was old and no longer complied.

>>the statistics are pretty bleak for new restaurants in general and even bleaker for first time small restaurant owners.<<

I totally agree, we see so many hit the wall within the first year here so I'm inclined to sit back and wait for a bit then see what eventuates, perhaps I might score one of these.

Thanks for your thoughts

:) Is this a place you will buy or rent? If you rent I would sit back and wait for a place that quits or goes out of business that already is up to code. It would save you a whole lot of trouble in the long run. If you are buying then it's the same, buy something already set up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom