My food related event of the year....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardge

Senior Cook
USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can a
....is a mere 6 days away.

Here's the deal. Every Wednesday before Thanksgiving, my cousin Dean and his wife Holly open their hearts and home to all their friends and have a bash of all bashes. It's kind of been described as the celebration we friends have together because the following day, Thanksgiving, we will all be with our immediate families. Now, I mean not to downplay the actual holiday spent with my family, but that day usally is very low key. It's a great meal followed by TV watching and laughter aimed at my uncle and Dad. Thier snoring talents are legendary. The pre-Thanksgiving tradition at my cousin's house has been going on for years. It is a bit more on the "electric" side. Each year, it keeps getting bigger. I think the first year there were 7 or 8 people. I think I remember my cousin telling me the head count is over 85 people this year. With everyone bringing something, you can just imagine the food. Pasta, antipasti, vegetables, salads, deli trays, snacks, potato dishes, casseroles, stuffing, souffles, turkeys, sausages, desserts, drinks, chips, dips, etc., etc., etc. If I am not mistaken, there will be 7 turkeys this year, all of which will be deep fried. My friend Mike brings his famous corn souffle. I am soooooo craving Mike's corn souffle right now. I used to bring apple pies. However, there always seems to be an overabundance of apple pie. I'm switching it up this year and bringing my cheesecake cupcakes this year. 7 dozen. Yeah Baby.

In addition to the food, music is also a huge part of this party. Members of many pro and semipro Chicago based bands are always among the party guests. Somewhere along the evening, the PA gets turned on and we have a jam that just doesn't want to stop. It is so much fun, I can't even stand it. All egos are checked at the door. Extended versions of songs are in play. "You play drums? Go ahead, have at my kit." "You have your guitar with you? Cool! Plug into this amp here." "You need a mike?" "How does that song go again? What are the chords? Show me." That's the vibe. Yes, it's that cool.

Last year, I had a digital camera with me and I documented the night. I will be doing the same this year. I have a question. Can anyone direct me to a good free hosting site I can upload pics to? I'd love to share alot of these pics I plan on taking, but I do not have the means to host them myself.

Anyway, that's my story. Next Wednesday can't come fast enough.

:D

RJ

What fun Ardge~! I don't have an answer for you but Crewsk recently adviced someone and I'm sure she'll beable to help you also.

The site I use is fotki.com. It is by far the best photo site I have seen and I have tried about 30 of them. Fotki has a free membership as well as one you can pay for (only $30 a year, but gets you TONS of stuff). I am not sure how much space the free membership gets you, but I think it is a decent amount. Your friends do not need a username or anything to view your photos (like snapfish) and the site is very easy to navigate. Check them out and if you have any questions about them I would be happy to help you.

rj, where and when should we all be there!!!!!!!!!! gotta give wasabi and waynet a good head start...

I miss those large family events. Over the years people started fighting and I got tired of listening to the bullcrap. People got old and died. There are racial tensions too. Just not the same anymore. It sucks :!:

shhhhh..... if we just show up no one will ever know - LOL

Sounds like a GREAT time Ardge - and a good way to celebrate what we're thankful for - our friends.

i'm sure rj won't notce that you are new charlotte. i hope he doesn't notice the extra few dozen of us tho... lol.

norgeskog said:
Sounds like fun Ardge. Chicago will never be the same.

Ya know what, you might be right. History DOES have a way of repeating itself.

Get this...

Years ago, we had a jam party in the middle of summer. It was pretty much the same deal as this upcomming party except we weren't celebrating a particular holiday. It was just a multiple kegger bash with tons of food and bands. (When my cousin does something, he does it right.) Both he and I went to his village township meeting in order to get all the permits we needed to put on this party. Lights, PA system, beer, etc. Well, he got the permits and we were legal.

Then the party happened....

And the band started to play....

And the cops showed up....

My cousin directed the police officers to the posted permits. "Officer, Look! I have the permits. I stood before the board. They granted me permission. I'm legal!" The officer smiled and nodded. "I totally understand sir and that's great you have the permits, but the complaints I am here to tell you about are coming from the NEXT TOWN OVER. Please turn down the PA system."

In fact, we made the newspaper's police blotter too that month.

Legendary

WARNING: EXTREME VOLUME

THAT was a killer party.

One more cool thing to note: Later in the night, we were playing the song Blackout by the Scorpions. During the song, we blew the main fuse and actually had a blackout. Lights went out, PA went silent, everything but my unmiked drums kept going. I totally had to rip out an impromptu drum solo while the breakers got reset and stuff. I'm so smiling right now. What a cool memory. By the way, it is all documented on videotape.

I can't wait for Wednesday.

RJ

Ardge, I am so glad you joined this board.

You have a gift for storytelling on top of your cooking expertise!

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

EDITED: thanks to Joc/Charlotte for correcting my lousy French.

I'm glad I'm here too MB. This place RULES! I've met so many awesome people here, present company included. :)

I gotta get my cousin to join. THAT dude can make some good chow. Spaghetti and Broccoli, 3 Alarm Chili, ANYTHING on the grill, 4 Meat Baked Ziti. (Actually, its 4 Meat Baked Mostacholi but I can't spell Mostachiloey without looking in the pantry. I'm missing a couple of C's or L's in that there word. Maybe both. :D )

RJ

Ardge, I'm with mudbug! I know that when I read your posts I can expect something great!

That sounds like it was an awesome party! I can't wait to hear about the one comming up Wednesday!

Back
Top Bottom