To all you chess players out there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
My 13 year old son and i were playing chess. He claims he won, but I think he is trying to pull one over on his dad. He didnt actually get my king in check, but he got my king into a situation where i was confined to the one sqaure. In other words, I was unable to move my king anywhere, and i was unable to block or remove any of his pieces that held me in this situation. Once again, there were no pieces that were actually directly threatening my king, just its ability to move anywhere.

So, Is her correct ? or do I get to punish him for cheating :-p He was in the chess club, so I have to believe him until proven otherwise.

Also, if this rule is correct, can someone provide me with a site so i can see it in writing.

Thanks in advance,

larry

I do not know for sure, but I think your son is right. I am curious to hear what others think.

If your king cannot be captured where it sits, but cannot move to a safe square, as long as you can make a legal move with any other piece the game is not over.

I think it depends on how long you are willing to sit there and let your son stare you down.....give him the satisfaction of calling it a stalemate and move on---you don't have to agree with him on the "win" and go on to another fun game.......what a neat Dad you must be to find time to play a cerebral game in the first place

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom