Store Manager

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I just returned from Whole Foods market and having had temporary checks was refused my purchases. If I did not have enough cash in my wallet to cover the items I would have had to return with the cash and buy them.

Now I called the manager, he apologized for inconvenience, but said that there is word that all the stores are going to go digital that they won't even accept checks as payment. Is there such a transaction as digital? Never heard of this one? Are they t rying to confuse us? I recommended that they have check cashing cards for regular customers and he said not really feasible as they are going digital soon. Has anyone paid digital before? How did you do it?

I haven't heard that.

I know that at WalMart, your check goes through instantly now. We used to be able to write a check a day before payday and know that it wouldn't go through until the money was in the bank. Not so anymore.

This all reminds me of the commercials for that one card, where they show everyone flashing their card at the machine as they run by, then someone halts the whole process by writing a check or by using cash. I REALLY resent that commercial. I sometimes use cards, sometimes cash, and sometimes checks. When I do write a check, I try to be considerate of others behind me by filling the bulk of it out before I even go in the store, or at least before I get in line. But to insinuate that people paying with cash or by check are holding things up really bothers me. Also, those new cards kind of scare me. No one checks I.D. when using cards anymore anyway, but we still have to sign or use a PIN. I can picture a lot more people stealing those new cards and using them to get stuff free. I feel we are sacrificing security for convenience.

:ermm:Barbara

By "going digital" I'll assume they only need the numbers off the bottom of your check, just like you can give these numbers over the phone to pay a lot of bills. One is your checking account# and one is the bank's routing#. Basically they need only scan the check, then can give it back to you. And you having temp checks possible don't have the numbers on the bottom yet?

It gets very confusing to some customers I wind up behind at the local store (I try to stay out of). People don't understand why they still can't write a check and show their check cashing card, then there's the new machine they have to figure out, the cashiers are dumber than dirt...... all this because out here people would rather write a check or use a debit card to buy a candybar and pack of smokes..... drives me crazy. Doesn't anybody carry more than $3.00 in their pocket or purse in this town?

Wait, what did you want to know again? :LOL:

Edited to add: no, a candybar and pack of smokes doesn't cost 3 bucks here :wacko:
Sorry, personal peeve of mine.

But that's what a lot of places are going to to avoid rubber checks and have the money transferred instantly. :)

Ah, so WalMart has gone digital. I wouldn't mind, except sometimes the money hasn't quite gotten to the bank!

:)Barbara

You would be better off then using a check card and running it through as credit, rather than debit. It won't cost you anything more (but it will Wally World, heh, heh, heh).
Or get overdraught protection.

digital

By "going digital" I'll assume they only need the numbers off the bottom of your check, just like you can give these numbers over the phone to pay a lot of bills. One is your checking account# and one is the bank's routing#. Basically they need only scan the check, then can give it back to you. And you having temp checks possible don't have the numbers on the bottom yet?

this is really getting too crazy! People are really subjected to others choices and not their own. I don't pay my bills on line. I was advised by someone wo works for banking institution who advised as he has experienced personal problems that were never resolved. I do like to know where my money is going. Even if it is the 'old fashioned' way of using my fingers to count addition subtraction. Just kidding, but I mean aren't they just trying to go TOO fast.

Yesterday when returning some items to Macy's the girl gave me only credit for four items instead of the five because there was big line waiting for service. I had to take more time making her correct the credit than doing it right in the beginning. What is the comment someone said 'dummer than dirt'? so shame that the clerks are under such pressure. I feel bad for the workers as well as not getting correct credit.

Thanks for comments. Sure helps me.

Hmmm. Not sure what he meant by digital. ITK, I rarely use my checks any more - & carry very little cash. I use my ATM/Visa everywhere. You just swipe your card at the checkout - & record the purchase in your checkbook. I think part of the goal is to eventually go "paperless" everywhere. I'm deciding on going paperless w my statements as well, as I do everything on line now.

I do everything with my card and online when possible. I took out $200 at the end of Dec. for a business trip and I still have over $100 of that cash on me.

I find cards safer and more convenient. If someone steals my card then the bank covers me for the loss. If someone steals my cash then it is lost for good. If I drop my card somewhere and lose the card I have not lost anything. If I drop my cash it is gone for good.

ITK, I used to work in a bank and worked very closely with the internet banking dept. This was when internet banking was just becoming popular. Even back then it was incredibly safe.

I write on the back of my credit card--please check ID and I am surprised at the number of businesses who do just that---Wal Mart for one.....well, if we go digital I hope there is someone to explain it

...ITK, I used to work in a bank and worked very closely with the internet banking dept. This was when internet banking was just becoming popular. Even back then it was incredibly safe.

I love on-line banking. Now I have my bills sent to me electonically (via email) - & pay them electronically. The only time I wrote a check was to the Management co for my dues. I asked them for their account #, set up the account thru my on-line banking, & now I don't need any checks (& stamps & envelopes & return labels).

The only thing I'm not quite clear on, is when I use my debit card in restaurants. For some reason my statement reads more (they charge more?) until it clears. Can't understand the reason.

Last edited:
There are many grocery chains in Canada that do not take checks of any type now because of fraud. Even government checks are not accepted. A few of the older people were upset about this because thats how they have been doing it for years. It's been a gradual change though over the past 10 years or so.

Usually the only people who are able to use checks of any kind are businesses who have actual account cards with the particular store they are dealing with. Which means they go into the store and buy what they need, use the card, and pay by a certain time.

...The only thing I'm not quite clear on, is when I use my debit card in restaurants. For some reason my statement reads more (they charge more?) until it clears. Can't understand the reason.

Some of the gas stations around here have a notice on their pumps stating that if you use a debit card, your bank may put a hold on funds of as much as $75 for a debit transaction until the actual charge clears. I have never seen that on my bank account.

I do just about all my banking online and use debit and credit cards. I write checks at Christmas, for birthdays and for local contractors who require it. And don't forget the points. We even use it to pay for groceries - more points! Last year I bought two airline tickets for Aruba with my points.

The Chinese restaurant in town doesn't take cards, but they take checks. They also take their time cashing them. We often go there a few days before payday!

So thankful I wrote and asked about this right away. Otherwise I would dismiss it and forget about it till next time.

Your comments have really given me security of using my cards and on line. Granted it does seem easier, but I worry about someone making drastic mistake as this friend told me and really put fear in me. When you hear something from someone of reputable information you want to believe it is gospel. However, GB I always have had faith in what you say and know you would not mislead no one.

I am sure if there is some kind of breakdown everything is backed up so they could get all the info back again. Technology wonder how fast it is going to get! I just hope I am not in long line when I find out they have changed to digital. Like Barb said, don't want to tie up a line. Good idea to fill it out before you have to pay for it. This experience with temp check sure gave me good lesson on being more alert when my checks get low. shish!

Just make sure that any page you enter bank information on the internet is a reputable website - there are some spoof websites out there with names similar to banks that will take your banking information.

Just check the address and make sure it's the right one when you enter your information.

Also, don't ever give out your credit card number or banking information on the internet if its a website soliciting information - if you didn't go there to buy something or to bank, then its not that safe.

We changed banks about two years ago for our joint checking, and at the time I ordered 200 cool NASCAR checks. I am still on the first set of 25. I pay all my bills online, and about the only time I use a check is when the kids order something from the school like pictures or scholastic, etc.
When out and about, we use our debit cards but like Picanis pointed out we always tell them to run them as credit. If you use your PIN, the bank charges you $0.50. If you use it as credit, it costs the merchant.
There are a lot of local merchants that have gone to taking only cash because they kept getting scammed with checks and don't want to give a portion of their profits to the credit card companies. We like to support them, so we just plan for when we are visiting one of them and take cash.
Remember when they came out with debit cards and touted how convenient and FREE they were? Now they nickel and dime you to death with them, funny how that worked out...

...Also, don't ever give out your credit card number or banking information on the internet if its a website soliciting information - if you didn't go there to buy something or to bank, then its not that safe.
I'm the same way with people who call on the phone wanting to sell something. I will never buy from someone on the phone unless I am the one who called them. It is too easy to allow oneself to be pressured on the phone. If it is something I'm interested in I always tell them that if they would like to email or mail me the information, I would be glad to check it out.

I'm the same way with people who call on the phone wanting to sell something. I will never buy from someone on the phone unless I am the one who called them. It is too easy to allow oneself to be pressured on the phone. If it is something I'm interested in I always tell them that if they would like to email or mail me the information, I would be glad to check it out.

Good advice.
Once a month we get a town paper, more like a flier about 8 pages long, with information about stuff going on in the town, news from the police, youth activities, senior news, etc.
In the senior news section it mentioned that one way scammers get a hold of widows is by watching the obituary notices where it says the husband was survived by his wife and any kids listed all live out of town. They say those are the prime targets of phone scams these days as it means the widow is alone in the house with no immediate family around them. They also tend to target those 65 and older how had the more expensive funerals and memorial services. They benchmark them by the cemetery where the funeral was held at.

...In the senior news section it mentioned that one way scammers get a hold of widows is by watching the obituary notices where it says the husband was survived by his wife and any kids listed all live out of town. They say those are the prime targets of phone scams these days as it means the widow is alone in the house with no immediate family around them. They also tend to target those 65 and older how had the more expensive funerals and memorial services. They benchmark them by the cemetery where the funeral was held at.
I don't know if any newspapers still do this, but newspapers used to put the deceased person's address in the obituary. Then while everyone was at the funeral, thieves would break into the house and steal to their hearts' content. I know the San Diego paper stopped that practice many years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom