Gramma's fridge and lists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Two things here:

1. What was always in your grandmothers refrigerator that you always knew you could find there and could eat/drink and be happy about.
7 Up in Scottish grams house, always.
Pecan halves in a jar, and deviled egg filling for sandwiches in Norwegian grammies house, always.

2. Do you make lists?
I do now and have for a few years. Dh always has but I've been a late bloomer, now, if I must be organized, it involves a list.

If I don't make a list I will forget my name every day.

My grandma always had Mountain Dew for us. In the skinny green glass bottles. Not sure they make them any more!
Ice cold milk, she would make "vanilla milk" with a little extract and sugar.

I can't really remember what was in the fridge..but she had a giant turkey roaster and every time you opened the lid there would be a Neco waffer inside. It used to amaze us kids.

LISTS... oh yeah. I have one for almost every day.
Like Suzi, I need them to remember EVERYTHING!

Grape Shast was (and still is) in my grandmas fridge. She is 97.

Most of the time we have a list.

I can't answer #1 , because I never looked in my grandma's fridge. As for making lists, I do make food list, list of things I need to do, list of things I want, and lists of things I need. Also list of things that need to be done in the house or outside.

Don't remember my grandma's fridge. Only visited her house a handful of times in my life. My grandparents lived very far from us.

Lists? You bet. I've always made lists. For everything. There's something quite satisfying about drawing a line through a completed item on a list. Gotta have my lists.

I also use my yearly calendars to write things that have to be done at specific times, especially when the holidays roll around.

There was always Jarlsberg cheese in my grandmas fridge. She also always had bagels (this was in NY) on hand along with fresh veggies and all the fixings for bagles (whitefish, cream cheese, lox and lox spread, etc.). She also always had nuts in the house (not just my grandfather :LOL:) and often had dates.

Yes I am a list maker. I can't function without lists because my memory is pitiful.

Only knew one grandma and she was very sickly and did not leave her bed.

Lists, rarely. For major shopping events, sometimes. But my memory is still pretty good and I generally know what we need. For stuff I want that we don't usually buy I may make a note.

don't remember ever looking in my grandma fridg.

but now i am granny, when the grandkids were younger always had, ovaltine and the fixings of grilled cheese. very often cookies. they counted on the ovaltine the most.

babe:):)

But my memory is still pretty good.
My memory is very good but the thing that gets me is that if I try to remember 25 items that are must do's, I don't want to set myself up for failure so it's easier to make sure I won't with a list. Again, been watching the man do it for a hundred years.

I got to sleep at my grandmothers house once and I remember that they had Velveeta Cheese. What a treat that was for me.

I make a list and then I can't remember where I put it.:ermm:

Gramma mom always had salami,cheese, jello and pudding, Gramma pa had all kinds of veggies from her garden, fresh fruit, homemade butter,and made us the best milkshakes..
Lists, you bet, let me find the list to remember where I am and I'll get back to you:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

when i was small, you didn't look in the refridge, very impolite, but she always had m&ms in the brown candy dish and always cans of Pork &beans with hot dogs. We loved them when we were kids. She also made the beat salmon patties, to this day haven't had one like hers. She left us with the recipe and when I make them always think of her.

Cute story she would make us boiled potatoes and put butter on them and us kids would rave about them and asked our mother why hers don't taste like gramas. come to find out grama was a butter user and mom a margine. shows how much kids new butter was butter to us.

as far as list -- I am the list make queen. I have at least 2 list going at a time.
I write things on a 3x5 card as i go through each day and then i go and what i didn't get stays in the purse for the next time so i end up looking at 2-3 list at a time. If i didn't have a list somewhere i'd lose my mind for sure.

Grandma always had maraschino cherries in her fridge. That, and being from the depression era she was always hiding cash, and one of the empty juice concentrate containers in the far back was one the places she hid it. We couldn't eat that though...

And lists? I make all kinds of lists. The lists I'm usually on generally start with an S word that we can't use on a family site though... :mrgreen:

Two things here:

1. What was always in your grandmothers refrigerator that you always knew you could find there and could eat/drink and be happy about.

2. Do you make lists?

Hershey Bars, Coors Light & Salami (granny does not like to cook)

I make lots of lists and always forget to bring them with me.

My grandma always had hot dogs in her fridge. My cousins and I used to eat them raw as kids.. BLECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for lists, I make them when I have alot to do, and I dont have any problem with time management since we have just the apartment, no yard etc. I just take care of the apartment and laundry since I am unemployed right now, and Nick goes to work.

I only make lists for groceries and when I forget it I am completely lost and I am frustrated the whole time!

Klondikes!! Crunchy AND original.

Lists? Everywhere, I make lists to remember my lists. They are all over the house and in every purse/bag/wallet, back seat and front seat of car.... on and on....

My mom's a vegetarian and she doesn't cook or eat much. She seems to prefer Boost as the bulk of her daily intake. We always bring our own food to her house. But she does usually have yogurt with fruit in it. Fisher loves that.

I'm a list maker, too, but more for the reason Katie E mentioned - I love crossing out each task or chore on the list! Weekends here always start with a list that includes things that have to get done and then things that need doing. The whole family gathers on the front porch for coffee and juice Saturday morning and we go over the list. Then the list stays on the dining table so we can cross off stuff that gets done. (I'm not a taskmaster though - if someone suggests something fun to do, I can tear that list up in a heartbeat!

Polar bear neopolitan ice cream
freezer queen beef & gravy boil-in-bag meals
a flat of eggs
frozen cool whip
lard
regent gingerale
chocolate/candy
popcorn cakes
nilla wafers & fudge-striped cookies
butter
instant coffee

also:
bleu cheese
light n' lively yogurt
honey
butter sammiches
thin steak
cereal (kaboom & chocolate-marshmallow cereal)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom