Lilacs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
The wonderful scent of lilacs wafting thru the house, there are 3 bushes , right near the open window. It smells so good without having to cut some and put in a vase. I can't keep real flowers and plants in the house, my 3 cats go after them. :rolleyes: I have Purple, Lavender and White ones. Whoever planted them planted them too close I think, because the white bush is in between the other two bushes and looks crowded in there. Will have to take some pics and post them.

LadyCook

Last edited:
My wife loves lilacs so for mothers day that is what she is getting. Actually I bought the bush and planted it two weeks ago, but she does not know that yet. It is in a spot that with our bedroom windows open we will smell it and with our basement door open we will smell it. It is also right next to our deck and by the pool so we will smell it there too.

We have a Licac bush just outside our dining room window, love it when the breeze comes in and scents the whole house.

:) I would love a few Lilac bushes. My neighbor got a free one about three weeks ago and it's laying by her house all dried up and dying because she has not planted it. It makes me sick to my stomach to see this. I wonder if I asked she would just let me have it and so I can try to save it. I kinda doubt it. They are not givers at all I think they are major hoarders of useless stuff. They have little trails inside their house because of all the stuff piled up in small mountains every where.I always thought I was a cluttered type turns out I am quite organized after seeing their house:LOL:

Last edited:
I noticed yesterday my lilacs were just about in full bloom. They aren't really in a spot where I can smell them unless I am right by them, or getting the mail. I think I have five mature bushes. The one is about 18 feet wide and 16 feet high. It's still all white, but the others are mixed purple and white. I thought I was going to lose the big one to an ice storm a few years ago, but they're pretty hardy.

I barely have leaves on mine yet. :(

LOL:ROFLMAO:

Mine has finished blooming. With great restraint, I leave all the flowers on the bush, because I find they last much longer on the bush than in the flower vase. It is intoxicating to walk by them. Mine are wedged between apple trees, so the aroma is/was lovely.

I absolutly love lilacs, hubby wont let me plant one says he doesnt want to have to mow around it. I told him plant it on the edge of the lawn still won't do it. Maybe I'll just plant one without telling him. A friend gives me lilacs every year so at least i can smell them for a little while.

Mowing around them isn't hard..... it's mowing under them :LOL: At least when they get as wild as these.
Cloudy and cold here today, but you get the picture. That one by my toybox is a lot larger than I said earlier. I'll bet it's 25 feet long.

Attachments

• lilac1.jpg
    lilac1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 168
  • lilac2.jpg
    lilac2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 168
lol, not 5 minutes ago I had a customer comment on them. He said he and his wife talked about them when they came here last week. Must be the season for discussing lilacs. I never really paid them much attention except to cut out the thorn vines that like to grow in them. He said it was unusual to have them different colors like I do in front.

They sell them at nurseries where you buy shrubs, trees, etc. Of course they are pretty small. I saw some a couple week ago and didn't notice if they even had buds on them being that spindly looking.

Mine are getting there...I can't wait to take some to work so I can enjoy them all day.

Back
Top Bottom