Butterflying a Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cut along either side of the back bone and remove it. Open it up like a book and place skin side up on a cutting board. Push down on the breast to break the breast bone and cartilage. You could take it a step further but turning over and deboning it.

BTW, that's the best way to grill a whole bird. When the breast meat is done, I move that part eith over an unlit burner or towards the front of the grill to finish cooking the dark meat without overcooking the white meat. Snip the very ends of the wings off to prevent burning.

Thank you all for the tips & links. Lee, the pics help too. ;) Nice looking bird, Bob. Almost wish I had a duck too. (Duck under a brick? lol) Like the way they put orange slices under the breast & thigh skin. Good idea, babe. :)

Last edited:
Amy with a pair of poultry shears you could easily do it the first time in less than five minutes. Can do it with a very sharp knife but, as was shown in the site given by QSis, poultry shears, which I rarely use for anthing else, really help here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom