Need idea for a BBQ side dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
So my brother is throwing a big BBQ this Saturday with LOTS of people. We each have to bring a dish. I don't want to do the typical pasta salad/fruit salad/potato salad routine, so any other ideas? Thanks!

no pasta salad at all or you just don't want to bring a run-of-the-mill salad?

no pasta salad at all or you just don't want to bring a run-of-the-mill salad?

Well there are a few ppl who are already bringing pasta salad. I kinda wanna make something better than your typical picnic fare.

The main attraction is...Beef, Pork, Chicken, Goat, Game, or maybe just Hamburgers and Hot dogs????? Other?

It'll be hamburgers/hot dogs, and bbq chicken. My brother will be making that, and the rest of us will be bringing the sides.

How about some marinated grilled veggies? Cut bell peppers into quarters, onions into 1/2-inch thick slices, and zucchini into 1/4-1/2-inch thick planks. Marinate for at least an hour in a mixture of lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, minced thyme or rosemary, salt and pepper, then grill till soft and caramelized.

How about mini grilled pizzas? Break small portions of store bought pizza dough into balls, flatten with your hand and brush both sides with olive oil. Grill them, directly over the coals, flipping so both sides cook without one side burning. When you flip it, put the grated cheese and fresh tomato slices on top. The heat from just being over the coals will melt the cheese.

Cut and serve.

How about some marinated grilled veggies? Cut bell peppers into quarters, onions into 1/2-inch thick slices, and zucchini into 1/4-1/2-inch thick planks. Marinate for at least an hour in a mixture of lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, minced thyme or rosemary, salt and pepper, then grill till soft and caramelized.

That's a good idea but only halve the veggies or you'll be standing there for 2 hours trying to turn those little pieces. Grill large pieces (half works best) then cut to final size on a board.

Edit: Oh, and leave the root end intact on the onion.

That's a good idea but only halve the veggies or you'll be standing there for 2 hours trying to turn those little pieces. Grill large pieces (half works best) then cut to final size on a board.

Edit: Oh, and leave the root end intact on the onion.

Good thoughts, Jeeks, thanks.

You can also put wooden skewers through the onion slices, to keep them from falling apart when you turn or remove them. Insert two skewers in parallel through two onion slices, about 1/3 and 2/3 of the way across the slices.

So my brother is throwing a big BBQ this Saturday with LOTS of people. We each have to bring a dish. I don't want to do the typical pasta salad/fruit salad/potato salad routine, so any other ideas? Thanks!

Yo! Check it out!! Right here!!

Boil up some "Swimps" at your house...take them to the Q nice and cold...ready to peel and eat.... Just enough for an appy...not an 'all you can eat' deal.....take a little sauce along too...Spicy boiled swimps go good with BYOB, beer, and BBQ smoke!:LOL:

Have Fun!!

Home made potato chips

Baked beans .. add bacon and onions

Vanilla ice cream and a cake like dessert?

my family does fresh ears of corn on the cob on the grill....it's very tasty and sweet. Just pull the husk back(don't pull it off though) and clean out the silk, then rub with butter and sprinkle with smoked paprika and/or cayenne pepper for a lilttle spice. Cover back up with the husks and wrap in foil. Add to the grill with your meat and let it smoke through for about 15 to 20 minutes....delish!

my family does fresh ears of corn on the cob on the grill....it's very tasty and sweet. Just pull the husk back(don't pull it off though) and clean out the silk, then rub with butter and sprinkle with smoked paprika and/or cayenne pepper for a lilttle spice. Cover back up with the husks and wrap in foil. Add to the grill with your meat and let it smoke through for about 15 to 20 minutes....delish!

Along with ^^^^, I sprinkle some fresh parmesan and thyme on mine. Yum!

Yo Chave....I'm sorry...I forgot to suggest you take a gallon (or two) of Margaritas..

1.gif

Yum!!! Goes well with da swimps!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom