Help Me ID This Plant and What's Happening to the Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
While out walking with my grandson this afternoon, I saw a small tree with purple/red flowers and tiny little purple/red shoots growing out of the surface of the leaves. I tried to get a couple of pics but had to hurry as my battery was dieing.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of tree and what's up with the leaves?

Last edited:
I don't think it's a larva or mite. It looks like a plant shoot growing in the leaf. As you can see, it's the same color as the flower.

:) I have never seen anything like that it looks like some sort of larvae to me. Can you make the picture bigger?

Yup. Looks like you got it Jeekinz. Yik!

Your local extention service will help identify and instruct you on organic solutions to your problem.

Last edited:
i've seen this before, but I do not know what it is. Are the spikes firm, pointy?

I would have to see the tree and bark in order to identify it, but it is not a maple. Could be a gall, but not maple gall.

Andy, you could send a pic to the Arbor Day Foundation. There's some pretty helpful people there. I'm not a "tree hugger", but I bought a little birch tree from there. LOL

While out walking with my grandson this afternoon, I saw a small tree with purple/red flowers and tiny little purple/red shoots growing out of the surface of the leaves. I tried to get a couple of pics but had to hurry as my battery was dieing.

Anyone have any ideas what kind of tree and what's up with the leaves?
From the bud scars and leaf shape it looks like it's probably a cherry tree?

Back
Top Bottom