Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Vinegar (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/vinegar-46135.html)

pacanis 05-14-2008 10:58 AM

Vinegar

I have no idea where this belongs.... so...... Here it is! :smile:

Can someone give me a tutorial on vinegar?
Recently I picked up some basalmic vinegar because I kept seeing "basalmic reduction" written here. That's a good enough reason, right? It does have a unique taste to it. I haven't made a reduction with it yet though.... I also made a cole slaw dressing that called for apple cidar vinegar, but would another vinegar have been OK? And I always have the clear vinegar on hand in case one of the poochies has an accident, which even with the pup, just doesn't happen working at home. So I have one gallon and one small bottle of that. I have red wine vinegar, too, because that's what I add to barbeque sauce when the mood strikes. Don't ask me why :huh:

So is there a niche for the different types (and I know I have left out a lot)? Does one shine for say, pickling, where another would be a no-no?
And is it OK to keep them all on a shelf? I always kept the red wine in the fridge, but my new bottle I figured what the heck, it is after all vinegar, so it shouldn't need refrigerated, right? None of my others are.....

GotGarlic 05-14-2008 11:31 AM

Hi, Pacanis. I am a vinegar fiend - I have white distilled, apple cider, balsamic, strawberry balsamic, white wine, red wine, and tarragon vinegars.

I'd say use the white distilled when you want a sharp vinegar flavor, but not additional flavor. White wine V is similar but a bit less sharp. Apple cider V is traditional for cole slaw, but there's no law that says you can't experiment. I like red wine vinegar in BBQ sauce, too :smile:

I use red wine, white wine (tarragon or plain) or balsamic V in vinaigrettes for salad dressings or marinades, and sauces, like the one I make for salmon (mayo, white wine V, fresh tarragon, some other stuff), a potato salad with vinaigrette dressing, and caprese salad. I also make an appetizer of roasted peppers marinated in red wine V, olive oil, dried oregano, S&P, on crostini spread with goat cheese. Not sure about pickling, I haven't done that.

I keep the most used ones on a bamboo lazy Susan next to the stove and the rest on the shelf. They're already preserved, so they don't need refrigeration. HTH.

miniman 05-14-2008 11:35 AM

I use malt vinegar for pickling - it has to have a certain strength to make good pickles. Over here they sell labelled pickling vinegar (already spiced).

auntdot 05-14-2008 12:38 PM

There are many different kinds of balsamic vinegars, from relatively cheap to outrageously expensive. Have used several of the cheaper ones and find them wonderful - if I ever win the lottery will pick up the really 'sepnsive ones. Also a little bit goes a long way.

And I agree, no need to refrigerate. Lived in FL for many years and learned to put many things in the fridge (the ants would find anything that was open). But never needed to cool the vinegar.

pacanis 05-14-2008 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info.
So it looks like what I am reading is they are basically interchangeable... that choosing one over another is strictly a matter of taste.
Malted vinegars are better for pickling because they are stronger.
And there is no need to refrigerate any of them.

I gotta find a way to use up all this white vinegar I have. I was hoping to try pickling some eggs with it.....

mcnerd 05-14-2008 02:20 PM

Here's information about the various vinegars that is helpful:

Vinegar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those that believe that anything with vinegar in it does not require refrigeration, like pickled eggs, I would encourage they keep their health/life insurance in full force.

Uncle Bob 05-14-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

=PacanisI gotta find a way to use up all this white vinegar I have. I was hoping to try pickling some eggs with it....
......be sure to take your daily tablespoon full every morning...

Barb L. 05-14-2008 03:00 PM

Make some window cleaner 1/4 cup vinegar 1 quart water ! :smile:

pacanis 05-14-2008 03:27 PM

There's an idea, Barb. Does the smell go away when you dry the window?

bethzaring 05-14-2008 03:33 PM

i keep several vinegars about the house, have never tried any balsamics though. I use a fair amount of white V. in cheesemaking and dish machine de-gunking, and red wine V. in cooking and canning. I am convinced the red wine vinegar adds a dimension to my canned chili sauce:cool: