Are any of you hard of hearing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
This might be kind of a touchy subject for some, and in no way am I trying to embarrass anyone here, but are you, a family member or a friend hearing impaired?

The other day at the school where I tutor the children, a boy who comes down to the library talks very loud to the point where his voice carries and is often ear-piercing! He often comes down with a classmate. They usually get along with each other, but on this particular day, this boy, he was just obnocious, rude, mean and nasty!!

He created quite a disturbance in the library, then he ran out into the hall behind the other boy while yelling out loud; "I got a gun! I got a gun!!".

I was totally shocked and appauled by this child. He could have caused the school to go into a lockdown!! No one gets out, no one gets in! For several hours!!

About twenty minutes had passed before his mom who is a teacher there came down and introduced herself to us and stated that her boy has a hearing problem! I quickly change my train of thought and felt so bad for the boy! I never even knew that he was hearing impaired. No one did. We were all shocked and dumb-founded! Then the question popped up; "Why has she not told anyone about her son's hearing problem before now?"

I talked to him and kindly asked him to be a little bit more quiet when he comes down. He said ok. We shook hands. He apolligized to everyone for his obnocious behavior. I told him that if he wants to talk to me about anything, he can. he said ok.

The poor thing!! No wonder he was talking so loudly! I just can't help feeling bad for him now! I hope he gets or is getting the help he needs.:ohmy:

Last edited:
My husband has hearing loss due to nerve damage from working with noisy big equipment his whole life. He was also used to shouting so the other workers could hear him.
You wouldn't believe how many times a day he says, "What?"

He refuses to see a doctor about it, so we just live with it. It is kind of funny when he gets words mixed up, though. For instance, I might tell him he needs to change his shirt because that one has a stain, and he'll reply, "It's not supposed to rain."

I worked at Logan Airport for United Airlines. Every year, the van would come around on the fied near the United hangar and offer free hearing tests for the employees on United.

I had my ears tested while there, and the last time that I did, I found out that my hearing had been downgraded somewhat since the test before that. It definitely came from the loud noise of the aircrafts' jet engines, which is why we were given large ear muff for protection from the noise of the planes, especially during taxi, takeoff and landing.

But I now feel this boy's pain and suffering if he's going through any of that. I'd like to have a conversation with him and let him know that I know what he might be going through. I just don't want other kids to poke fun at him or embarrass him at all because of his hearing impairment. They just might wake up a sleeping monster in him!!

Last edited:
I feel for the boy too but... Screaming that he has a gun is NOT a problem with his hearing. It's a behavior problem that should be addressed.

My husband has hearing loss due to nerve damage from working with noisy big equipment his whole life. He was also used to shouting so the other workers could hear him.
You wouldn't believe how many times a day he says, "What?"

He refuses to see a doctor about it, so we just live with it. It is kind of funny when he gets words mixed up, though. For instance, I might tell him he needs to change his shirt because that one has a stain, and he'll reply, "It's not supposed to rain."

I have what could be the same problem called tinnitus caused by the same thing, a constant rining in my ears. Nothing can be done about it so it's something that I've had to learn to live with, it gets annoying when there is no noise around me or when it changes pitch, other than then I don't notice it. I also say "what" a lot or "talk to my face not to [which ever direction she's looking]"

A funny thing happened to my wife only a week or two back, her hearing has been failing so she mentioned it to her doctor. He flushed her ears out and when she got back in the car she turned the radio down so much I couldn't hear it, then accused me of trying to blast her out of the car.

Thinking about coreys post, there was no mention about hearing aids, surely if the boy had been wearing one he wouldn't normally be shouting

Me?

My family asked me all the time if i am hard of hearing? I don't feel bad at all because seems I had everybody around me hard of hearing. My family asks why I t alk so loud? My father, my ex husband, and now my brothers, all are hard of hearing so it becomes habit to just talk louder than the normal person. If people are stubborn about getting hearing aid, then I have no other choice.

About this little boy, my heart goes out to him and especially if his mom did not tell anyone beforehand. Children always are the innocent victims in any situation, especially his mom who was teacher should have been aware of what may happen and to inform his teachers. I am thankful you have concern real concern for your students and show the kind of feeling you have. Do you think people are just in too big of hurry to mention something as important as a child's hearing, almost as important if the child needs glasses. No wonder the little boy talks loud. He wants to hear himself.

Just be patient with him and now that you know you can give him the attention he deserves. I always felt sorry for my family when they can't hear but being adults they could do something about it to make it so they can hear people when they want to talk. I guess this hearing loss runs in families when they get older. My son always razzes me that he thinks I am hard of hearing if I don't want to hear what he says. Sometimes he says things that I wish I didn't hear. As long as the good outweighs the bad than I am thankful.

Not easy job Corey when you have to depend on parents to help you. As I said, maybe too big hurry.

One of my friends has a 95-year-old-mom who refuses to get a hearing aid. She's hearing impaiered, and when she went to her doc's office to try the thing out after having had the test, she refused to accept it, saying that it's too big!

She's now in a theropy center because about a week and a half ago, she went bonkers, thought that somone was trying to kill her and said that their were wires coming out of the ceiling and something alive in the carpet.

Long story short, she then went outside trying to get help because she thought her son was trying to kill her, and that was not true. So he did the only thing that he could do which was dial 911 to have her taken to the hospital. From there, her doc ordered her to have theropy. My friend is not letting her come home until and unless he thinks that she' well and won't go bonkers again.

I asked him to have the doc make her get her hearing aid that she flatly refuses to get it.

I feel for the boy too but... Screaming that he has a gun is NOT a problem with his hearing. It's a behavior problem that should be addressed.

Yes!

I agree with that as well. That's part of the "sleeping monster" that I fear so deeply might come out when he's a year or two older!!

And believe it or not, that's not his fault either. Again, the problems with this boy and the actions that he takes is his mom's job to try to address. If she does nothing, especially when she knows there's a problem, then she will have failed him and takes full responsibilities if the boy maims or kills someone - which I hopes never happens. I want him to have a normal happy childhood and life.

I've been sort of doing my own evaluation on some of the children that I tutor, and two little boys, one of whom I still tutor, I've seen them in action with their violent dangerous temper tamtrums. They both attacked me!! Though they didn't hurt me at all, it seems like they won't take no for an answer, and if they keep on doing this, they will REALLY hurt someone when they get a little older. It's all too common in today's horrible world!

I lost my hearing around 2 yrs. old from an ear infection. I don't know sign language , attended regular schools, and self taught lip reading.

DW seems to think I am rather hard of hearing.....:LOL:

Seriously,
I was thinking of asking my doctor about a hearing test as there are times where it seems everyone can hear the TV clearly except me, or the music, or others talking. Might be a slight hearing loss there, but nothing drastic I don't think.

Of course if there is any hearing loss I blame it solely on DW!
:glare:

She has this tendency, when some one is talking and she wants to talk, to simply start talking and raise her voice higher and higher until the person stops talking.
Or is that just with me she does that??
:-p

I agree.

I dont have a problem with my hearing except that sometimes I cannot hear high pitched sounds such as the phone if I am upstairs but I think thats a normal aging thing. My mother had hearing loss in one ear and partially in the other ear, so I was quite used to loud tv's , music, etc. She never talked loud though. She could read lips pretty good.

No, this is not a hearing thing, it's a guy thing. Just kidding.
Poor baby. But isn't that part of a child's yearly physical check up required by all schools?
As far as behavior - not acceptable. Where does that come from - home. There's the problem, not the boy's hearing.

And believe it or not, that's not his fault either. Again, the problems with this boy and the actions that he takes is his mom's job to try to address. If she does nothing, especially when she knows there's a problem, then she will have failed him and takes full responsibilities if the boy maims or kills someone
Sorry Corey, but that is just plain wrong. The child holds responsibility as well. You can not blame all of his issues on his mom. While I agree that parenting is a big part, the child is still responsible as well.

I am with GB on this one, we can't always find someone else to blame for the things we do in life...
Isn't attitude 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it?

I think what's missing today is what wasn't missing when I was a kid and that is if you didn't behave properly, you were CONVINCED to behave properly!

Sorry Corey, but that is just plain wrong. The child holds responsibility as well. You can not blame all of his issues on his mom. While I agree that parenting is a big part, the child is still responsible as well.

I imagine that he SHOULD be held accountable for his obnocious behavior.

But doesn't she have to notice the signs and try to address the problems along with him? I agree that the boy should not have said that he has a gun, though we know that he din't have one. I'm sure that he's old enough to know right from wrong.

Still, the mom has to be the one to put her foot down. The staff as well because if that ever got out to the police, it would spark a security lockdown. The boy has to behave properly while on the school premises, yes,
and elsewhere. I know that his mind isn't fully developed yet, so some of the things he does deeply depends on how he's raised at home.

If he was at the airport and said that, expecially out loud, yes, they would have made an example out of him and probably would have immediately banned him from a plane and from the premises.

Last edited:
Only when my wife is talking to me! ;)

I hear very well out of my left ear but not too good out of my right. I find myself leaning in to people at times or turning my head to hear them. It has been this way as long as I can remember.

"I got a gun! I got a gun!!".

About twenty minutes had passed before his mom who is a teacher there came down and introduced herself to us and stated that her boy has a hearing problem! I quickly change my train of thought and felt so bad for the boy! I never even knew that he was hearing impaired. No one did. We were all shocked and dumb-founded! Then the question popped up; "Why has she not told anyone about her son's hearing problem before now?"

Because before now she didn't need to keep her brat from being expelled because the kid threatened another's life, and for putting the school in lockdown.

No reason for her to tell you this now, except to skate out of it.

Hard of Hearing? Eh??

I have tinnitus, a 24/365 whine of mini jet engines in each ear. Sometimes there is also a hum and occasionally a bell or two. Sometimes it's so bad as it takes on a physical presence.

Enough to distract, enough to make me a bit irritable, even makes me a bit Loony at times.

Back
Top Bottom