What should i bake today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
i feel like baking some dessert today...feeling that familiar itching again which always leads me to bake something,so any ideas what it should be this time?

It's dreary and chilly here so if I could bake it would be a "comfort food." Probably chocolate chip cookies and apple crisp.

no sarah..don't listen to PA Baker, she's fooling you.... you have to make something with pumpkin! :LOL:

Juliev said:
no sarah..don't listen to PA Baker, she's fooling you.... you have to make something with pumpkin! :LOL:

LOL! I was going to suggest pumpkin cheesecake but then figured I should try and get off of this crazy pumpkin kick!

regular Hershey brownies are good (recipe on the back of the Hershey cocoa can) or Kahlua mudslide brownies... both are great with a glass of milk.

mmmmmm...(thinking),dont feel like baking cookies,i already made lots of em a couple days be4....i think what i need to bake today is some cake or pie,all i have at home is unsweetened baking chocolate,lots of eggs,raisins,pecans,almonds,coconut,a can of apple pie filling....do i need to go shop or i can make something out of these?

I have 3 recipes in front of me as we speak. They are Pumpkin Gingerbread with Caramel Sauce, Eggnog-Pecan Poundcake, & Irish Cream & Cofee Poundcake. If you want any of those, let me know & I'll post them for you!

Ardge said:
If you ask me (and you did), I say Banana Bread.

I can go for a warm slice or two with a tall glass of whole moo juice right now.

BIG TIME!

RJ
banana bread....sounds interesting....how do u make it? :)

crewsk said:
I have 3 recipes in front of me as we speak. They are Pumpkin Gingerbread with Caramel Sauce, Eggnog-Pecan Poundcake, & Irish Cream & Cofee Poundcake. If you want any of those, let me know & I'll post them for you!
how about irsih cream and coffee poundcake?

sarah said:
Ardge said:
If you ask me (and you did), I say Banana Bread.

I can go for a warm slice or two with a tall glass of whole moo juice right now.

BIG TIME!

RJ
banana bread....sounds interesting....how do u make it? :)

Hey Sarah, you've got me wondering something right now. Your "how do u make it?" is throwing me. Have you not heard of banana bread before, or do you just mean you want the recipe I usually make?

RJ

here ya go sarah! :D

Irish Cream & Coffee Pound Cake

1 1/2C butter or margarine, softened
3C. sugar
6 large eggs
1 1/2Tbsp. instant coffee granuals
1/4C hot water
1/2C. Irish cream liqueur
4C. all purpose flour
1tsp. vanilla extract
1tsp. almond extract
Irish Cream Glaze
2 to 3Tbsp. sliced almonds, toasted

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer about 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.

Dissolve coffee granuales in hot water; stir in liqueur.

Add flour to butter mixture alternatly with coffee mixture, begginning & ending with flour mixture. Mix at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in flavorings.

Pour batter into a greased & floured 13 cup bundt pan. Bake at 300F for 1 hour & 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan & let cool 30 minutes on wire rack. Brush with glaze; sprinkle with almonds. Cool completely.

Irish Cream Glaze

1tsp. instant coffee granuales
2Tbsp. hot water
1 1/2Tbsp. Irish cream liqueur
2/3C sifted powdered sugar

Dissolve coffee granuales in hot water; add liqueur & powdered sugar, stirring until well blended.

Note: You can freeze glazed cake up to 1 month.

Submitted by: H.W. Asbell
Tallahassee, Florida

Southern Living 20th Anniversary Edition Annual Recipes Cookbook

If you don't have instant coffee, omit the coffee granuals & hot water in both recipes & use regular brewed coffee in the same amount as the hot water.

sarah said:
i want the recipe YOU usually make... :)

OF COURSE.....

My index card with my Mom's recipe is missing, probably somewhere on this desk, under my disheveled and copious notes.

Feeling like a doofus, I found you an equally yummy recipe though.

Do you like muffins? If so, prepare to get your socks knocked off.

Here are my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins.

Makes 12

2 cups AP flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
7 oz semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup melted butter
8 oz overripe bananas, mashed well. (I have two bananas written down on the side of my card.)

In a large stainless or glass bowl, combine the flour, sugar, powder, soda, and 1/2 the chips.

In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, butter, milk, and bananas together.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet stuff. Stir with a wooden spoon till it just comes together. You want lumps.

With a size 20 batter disher (3 T), plop a scoop in your muffin cups lined with paper wrappers. Drizzle the remaining chocolate chips on top and bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or so..... or until they are done. Ya know, toothpick in the middle, comes out clean, something like that.

I hope this works for you. I hope you have old bananas around too. If not, get enough bananas for two recipes later in the week and I swear to God I will have my Mom's Banana Bread for you by then.

Sorry,
RJ

yummm....these muffins sure look like i will eat all of them :) ...

Here's my banana raisin bread recipe which i came across while surfing net,it works great for me.

1 2/3 cups HONEY MAID GRAHAM CRACKER Crumbs.
1 1/2 cups flour.
3/4 c sugar.
1 tb baking powder.
1/2 tsp salt.
2 large bananas,mashed(1 c).
1/2 c milk.
1/3 c butter,melted.
2 eggs slightly beaten.
1 c seedless raisins.

preheat oven to 350 f.Mix crumbs,flour,sugar,baking powder and salt in a large bowl,set aside.Combine bananas,milk,butter and eggs in a small bowl,stir into crumb mixture just until blended.Stir into raisins,spoon into greased 9 into 5 inch loaf pan.Bake 1 hour to 1 hour,10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.Cool in pan or wire rack 10 min.Remove from pan,cool completely on wire rack.

Back
Top Bottom