Advice on knife set with black or silver block

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammie

Assistant Cook
The block must be black or silver. I can't afford elite knifes but I don't want crappy workmanship either. I'm looking to spend about 180 for 13-14 piece set. I really could use some advice from people who have owned the brands listed below. I'm only interested in buying a set.

The brands I'm looking at are:
Henckels
cuisinart
circulon
anolon
ginsu

I basically am choosing from the options at bed, bath, and beyond.

The only one I have owned that is on that list is Cuisinart. I can't say as I have any complaints about them, but now I own Chicago Cutlery and I feel it is just as good for less money.

I don't know about silver, but it is easy enough to get em with a black block last time I checked. I prefer wood myself. You can also just buy the set and buy a block separately if you choose.

HA, figures someone from Naples would be no help.
I was asking more about the brand names that I listed.

You said before anything else, "The block must be black or silver." That sounds to me like color is your primary requirement.

I don't have a clue what Naples has to do with it (perhaps you'd like to enlighten me), but if a black colored knife block is your primary requirement for a knife set why not buy the set you want and then color the block if it isn't black?

Buzz

You said before anything else, "The block must be black or silver." That sounds to me like color is your primary requirement.

That was my impression too.

I have a set of the Henckels Synergy Stainless. The rubber and stainless handles are comfortable enough The quality of steel is Ok, I imagine it's on par with other knives in its class. This set is better than other value knives I have used. In all honesty the knives seem stiff, lifeless and don't 'sing'.

But they do display Silver And Black handles and have a black plastic block. I think plastic is not the best material for a block.

Of those brands, the only one I would trust is henckels. My question is, do you really need 13 to 14 different knives? I have about 8 knives that i carry back and forth to work with me, but on a daily basis I only use two. I have a Japanese vegetable knive that i use as my all-purpose since its japanese forged and the best knife in my kit, and a boning knife that I use for breaking down large hunks of meat and chickens/ducks. I will break out my paring knife too for all smaller jobs. Basically, IMHO, its better to spend more money on several knives you will use daily, then to get more knives that you may never use. Oh, and stay away from ginsu, they are s&%t knives and not worth the stainless steel they are stamped from.

Back
Top Bottom