Something you just don't see every day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
As some of you all know, I've been using Metal Detectors for years. To find the best "old stuff", in an urban area, you have to go to where "Urban Renewal" is taking place, where condemmed building are being razed. Here in Tulsa, that also means the lot gets scraped, removing the surface junk, and bringing the older, deeper, more desirable targets closer to the surface.

This also exposes some items that are highly collectable, but aren't made of metal, so you have to learn to "eyeball" them. I've trained my eyes to look for certain things, like marbles (color contract, reflective patterns, etc.), glass bottles, and even coins just laying on the surface.

As a result, I usually go around, looking at the ground where ever I'm at. Sometimes my eyes pick out a pattern that interests me.

This morning was no exception. I was outside, walking to the driveway to wait for the schoolbus. On the way there, there are lots of clover patches. My eyes picked up on a pattern that just wasn't quite right. I immediately stopped, and back up a couple steps. I started looking for what it was that triggered my curiosity.

Here is what triggered it:

2008fourleafedclovermv0.jpg

This is only the second one I've ever found. The first was a couple years ago up in Michigan.

EEA - I have learned that where there is one there are usually more. I used to find patches of 4-leaf clovers (as in 5 - 10 per patch) in my yard where I used to live.

It's funny how our eyes can pick up on "not quite right".

Oh I get it... "Not quite right."

*Groan:LOL:*

Beautiful photo, by the way! Thanks for sharing. Now share some of that luck, please!

I have looked for them before and have never found one. Where do you live? Maybe I need to come and touch you for good luck!

texas and oklahoma aren't far apart, so it won't be long now for that answer.

(ok, i'll stop) :)

Unfortunately, PeppA mowed that part of the yard today. I haven't been feeling well, so I haven't looked.

In all honesty, I haven't used a metal detector in at least 8 weeks. To find good stuff, you have to go to the areas where good stuff was lost, and this requires gas for the car. I can't really afford a lot of gas right now. I've also started going fishing, as there's a lake just a mile away from my home.

That said, I have found many good things, mostly up in Michigan when I lived there (more people settled MI at an earlier date than folks that settled OK). Lots of old coins, some of them were 150 years old. Lots of jewelry as well, as one of my metal detectors is water-proof, and some folks don't think to take jewelry off when they go swimming.

Back
Top Bottom