ISO Red Eye Gravy recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billdolfski

Senior Cook
I used the search function, but didn't quite find the thread I was looking for.

I have a final practical in school next week, and I need Red Eye gravy for a dipping sauce. I would appreciate anyone and everyone's recipes and input on this subject.

The eye gravy, that is red.

First, red eye gravy isn't really red. What are you dipping in it?

Red Eye Gravy is made from the drippings of country ham. You simply add some coffee and sometimes some water, bring up to heat again, and that's it. It is very thin but very good!

Depending on how many slices of country ham you have fried (remove ham slices) you then add some coffee. Say if you fry up about 6 slices of ham you then add about 1/2 cup of coffee. Sometimes a little sugar is added too. Let this mixture heat up and pour over ham or my favorite, as a gravy for grits.

It's really hard to say exactly how much coffee because you just go by how much grease is rendered from the country ham. And this HAS to be country ham slices, not regular ham slices.

Thank you for the quick response. Duly noted, because I need to order the country ham. BTW, I was just being a smart-alec (so weird being on a forum where I have to behave) about it being red.

Behaving doesn't mean you can't be a smart-aleck! :LOL: You just can't tell me how stupid you think I am :LOL:

Around here you can buy packaged slices of country ham. It's usually near the deli area and is a rack unto itself that has country ham and fat back. A whole country ham is a LOT of ham :LOL: And for goodness sake, don't do what a lot of people do - they throw it away because they think it's bad when it arrives. Yes, it will be covered in green "stuff" - you just cut it away and voila - lovely country ham underneath. But seriously, unless you really need a whole country ham see if you can find the packaged slices.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with country ham... it's just a bit pricey and I'm not a coffee guy, so Red Eye gravy is something I've never made.

Lucky for me... I get to requisition this ham, not buy it. For what I pay tuition it should come with a side of foie gras.

I fry country ham cut from a whole ham...always like to render out a small piece of fat as the ham fries for extra flavor...remove ham ...add some water to the hot pan and drippings and cover quickly. Turn the heat down...wait a minute or two.. remove lid, stir, and add just enough black coffee to achieve the color you want...I like to add a sprinkle of course ground pepper at this time also...cover the pan. Serve with grits, eggs, etc...Ladled over hot biscuits.. it's pure heaven on earth!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom