Anti-Virus 2008. Beware of this Bogus Software!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Everyone, please be aware of this bogus software!!

If you visit websites that bombard you with those annoying pop-ups, this is how it can get in. Even if you have a pop-up blocker and it's activated, this bogus supposedly friendly software tries endlessly and persistantly to force its way into your computer!!

It mainly comes from websites that are sleezy, or websites that feature clips and actors from old TV shows like Diff'rent Strokes, Family Ties and stuff like that.

What it does, is that it pops up on your computer's screen as saying; "Warning!! Your computer could be infected with a Virus or Spyware! Take action against it now!

Then when you try to close it out, it won't go away! It tells you that you could have over 100 or so viruses and worms and other stuff! Then it starts supposedly "scanning" your pc for any supposed viral infections. It tells you that it will do it for free - then after the supposed scanning, they hit you with a charge of $50.00!! That says if you want to see the results of the supposed scan, you must pay them the money up front first!!

And even then, they want your e-mail address, and once you give it to them, that could very well open the door to you being bombarded with junk e-mails!! I even had to shut down the computer and reboot to try to get them out!

I had an extremely hard time trying to get them out of the computer! But I managed to do it. I even considered restoring it back to an earlier date, but I tried other options first to get them out. But instead, I ran a virus scan through Norton Ant-Virus to get them out. Norton had detected them as a danger to the pc, so I trusted Norton to protect me from them and it did.

Actually, Norton Internet Security helped me get them out. Stay away from websites that you normally don't go to, especially those ones that bombard you with endless pop-ups! This is the true sign and work of a dangerous hacker, virus, spyware, or a blaster worm trying to invade your pc! Take no chances and don't fall for for their gimicks like I did!!

They claim to be better than Norton, but there is no record on file supporting their controversial claims! At least I haven't seen any.:mad:

Last edited:
Everyone, please be aware of this bogus software!!

If you visit websites that bombard you with those annoying pop-ups, this is how it can get in. Even if you have a pop-up blocker and it's activated, this bogus supposedly friendly software tries endlessly and persistantly to force its way into your computer!!

It mainly comes from websites that are sleezy, or websites that feature clips and actors from old TV shows like Diff'rent Strokes, Family Ties and stuff like that.

What it does, is that it pops up on your computer's screen as saying; "Warning!! Your computer could be infected with a Virus or Spyware! Take action against it now!

Then when you try to close it out, it won't go away! It tells you that you could have over 100 or so viruses and worms and other stuff! Then it starts supposedly "scanning" your pc for any supposed viral infections. It tells you that it will do it for free - then after the supposed scanning, they hit you with a charge of $50.00!! That says if you want to see the results of the supposed scan, you must pay them the money up front first!!

And even then, they want your e-mail address, and once you give it to them, that could very well open the door to you being bombarded with junk e-mails!! I even had to shut down the computer and reboot to try to get them out!

I had an extremely hard time trying to get them out of the computer! But I managed to do it. I even considered restoring it back to an earlier date, but I tried other options first to get them out. But instead, I ran a virus scan through Norton Ant-Virus to get them out. Norton had detected them as a danger to the pc, so I trusted Norton to protect me from them and it did.

Actually, Norton Internet Security helped me get them out. Stay away from websites that you normally don't go to, especially those ones that bombard you with endless pop-ups! This is the true sign and work of a dangerous hacker, virus, spyware, or a blaster worm trying to invade your pc! Take no chances and don't fall for for their gimicks like I did!!

They claim to be better than Norton, but there is no record on file supporting their controversial claims! At least I haven't seen any.:mad:

Many times i have fought against this same issue. last year a good friend of mine who builds engines for John Force, ended up with this program on his laptop. he did not download it. it just appeared when he tried to close it out. I could not uninstall it or anything. The only way to fix it was to either wipe the Hard drive or get the key code to uninstall it. Luckily he called the number and told them if he does not have a key in 24 hours he will be pressing charges. About 10 hours later he got the key and all his issues resolved.

if you need to remove spyware or viruses use ADWARE by lavasoft or spybot search and destroy for spyware and adware. those are the only two i trust. I will not buy the ones that best buy have such as spyware doctor, they may work well but i have had issues with them many times. Spyware doctor is a big program and has many features that are not needed. Spybot search and destroy is a 9MB file and odes not have a lot of "bloat ware" built into it. For viruses, McCafe, AVG home edition (free BTW), and norton.

Sorry, but as for adaware, been there, done that. And it messed up my older desktop pc that I don't have now and my Dell laptop that is still being worked on.

I DID mistakingly download and install that bogus Anti-Virus 2008 software, and it took me all day to get rid of it!!

Windows Vista DOES have some protection against stuff like this through Windows Defender, which is not found on previous WOS. It helps you to keep those pesky annoying spambot bogus software at bay so that they can't get in and corrupts your files and cause you pc to crash.

And it will warn you if the system thinks that you might have received suspicious e-mails.

Norton also posts warnings that something might be suspected with e-mails and websites that also might be suspicious.

That bogus Anti-Virus '08 probably won't attack your pc right away, as it didn't mess up mine, but in time, it could start little by little, spreading through your pc like a cancer and corrupt things to the point where they will act sporatically and stop working altogether.

It's a good idea to make backups now & then so that if you encounter a problem that is just persistant and won't go away no matter what you do, you can restore your pc back to a time when everything worked so perfectly.

Last edited:
Sorry, but as for adaware, been there, done that. And it messed up my older desktop pc that I don't have now and my Dell laptop that is still being worked on.

I DID mistakingly download and install that bogus Anti-Virus 2008 software, and it took me all day to get rid of it!!

Windows Vista DOES have some protection against stuff like this through Windows Defender, which is not found on previous WOS. It helps you to keep those pesky annoying spambot bogus software at bay so that they can't get in and corrupts your files and cause you pc to crash.

And it will warn you if the system thinks that you might have received suspicious e-mails.

Norton also posts warnings that something might be suspected with e-mails and websites that also might be suspicious.

That bogus Anti-Virus '08 probably won't attack you pc right away, as it didn't mess up mine, but in time, it could start little by little, spreading through your pc like a cancer and corrupt things to the point where they will act sporatically and stop working altogether.

It's a good idea to make backups now & then so that if you encounter a problem that is just persistant and won't go away no matter what you do, you can restore your pc back to a time when everything worked so perfectly.

now that i think of it, i think thats why my boss got rid of it. Either that or it was a licensing issue.

yup daily back up runs every night and then it is transfered to a ftp server where it is automatically downloaded at branch two for safe keeping.

So stay away from those sorts of websites Corey :LOL::-p

Point well taken. Just like I don't give everyone my e-mail address because they start bombarding you with junk / spam e-mails! (If you receive this e-mail, pass it along to ten other friends!) What a ripoff!

That too, LT72884.

Your boss has the right idea! I've also had problems with licensing. The thing would stop working abruptly, and I ended up having to call the co for tech support.

Last edited:
So stay away from those sorts of websites Corey :LOL::-p

If only this weren't a family site .. L

A more recent game of crackers is to create a 'pathogen' filled web site with keywords and terms that innocent web searches will return hits on. The crackers also cross link sites and list their sites with search engines so their site comes up towards the top of search engine lists.

So one does an innocent internet search, one of these sites pops up at the top of the list, the link is clicked on and the user finds themselves at a syphlitic site.

The article I read this in said most of these types of sites were based in China and had a CA extension (www.xyz.CA). I tend to stay away from sites with such a designation.

On occasion I get pop-ups with what Corey described. I just close them. The 'pay X amount of money' for results is a garden variety scam. Sure I'll give some pop up any financial information .... Yeah, Right.

With NIS 2006? 2004? I'd have to look for the disk, I never had pop ups or banner ads. Then I upgraded and golly their back. The pop up behinds are the worst.

About giving out email, I tend to keep my mail addresses to myself.

I found the best protection against bogus mail is to have multiple addresses.

My ISP has a master account and 4 user accounts. One web host provides 500 addresses, the other web host provides an unlimited (or is it 999?) accounts. No way I can use all of them.

I have an eBay account and a mail address used only for eBay and PayPal. When a 'mail from eBay or PayPal' shows up in any other account I know it's bogus and is ignored.

Point well taken. Just like I don't give everyone my e-mail address because they start bombarding you with junk / spam e-mails! (If you receive this e-mail, pass it along to ten other friends!) What a ripoff!

That too, LT72884.

Your boss has the right idea! I've also had problems with licensing. The thing would stop working abruptly, and I ended up having to call the go for tech support.

yeah we noticed after about a month of using it that it was having a hard time. we read the license and it was against the agreement to install it in a business network. it is only for home networks. So we had to get rid of it.

About giving out email, I tend to keep my mail addresses to myself.

I found the best protection against bogus mail is to have multiple addresses.

My ISP has a master account and 4 user accounts. One web host provides 500 addresses, the other web host provides an unlimited (or is it 999?) accounts. No way I can use all of them.

I have an eBay account and a mail address used only for eBay and PayPal. When a 'mail from eBay or PayPal' shows up in any other account I know it's bogus and is ignored.

the worst is when co workers get your email address and since they have your work address, they send those emails about everything.

drives me nuts.

the worst is when co workers get your email address and since they have your work address, they send those emails about everything.
In those situations, I have NO trouble telling the offending person that they need to stop sending me those emails.

In those situations, I have NO trouble telling the offending person that they need to stop sending me those emails.

I ended up having to do that as well, buy that only works for so long. They'll forget that you told them that, and before you know it, again, here come those annoying spamming e-mails. Like you never told them at all to stop doing that.

But what really makes my blood boil is that when they send you those e-mails, they are usually sent as attachments and are forwarded with other peoples' addresses, and everybody and their brother has your e-mail address.

People that you don't even know!:mad:

I ended up having to do that as well, buy that only works for so long. They'll forget that you told them that, and before you know it, again, here come those annoying spamming e-mails. Like you never told them at all to stop doing that.

But what really makes my blood boil is that when they send you those e-mails, they are usually sent as attachments and are forwarded with other peoples' addresses, and everybody and their brother has your e-mail address.

People that you don't even know!:mad:

LOL here is the kicker, i hate it when people do that to me but sometimes i LOVE doing to people to toy with them. Man i am evil. I have only doen that once and i figured what goes around comes around.

Back in the days of Unix and the shell account I could mark and forward entire news groups to mail accounts.

I had Warp V4, it was great, but there was no support.

I forget which Unix/Linux I had loaded a few years ago, it worked fine but there were very few programs available. I hoped that changed.

I would like to try Linux again but in a way Linux reminds me of the PC of a decade or so ago. Multiple flavors changing day to day.

And this is an integrated PC, Which flavor will taste best to this PC? Or which flavor will even WORK in this PC? OTOH its an Intel G33 board, wouldn't be difficult to find out everything I need to know.

I spend WAY too much time on this as it is, maybe this winter ....

Yes Linux is updated ALL the time and it bugs me.

I use Ubuntu linux. so far its the best one i have found for home use.

here is my windows desktop, the one with the lil girl (cousin) and the second one is my ubuntu linux

Attachments

• my desktop.jpg
    my desktop.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 182
  • mydesktopinubuntu.jpg
    mydesktopinubuntu.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 182
If only this weren't a family site .. L

A more recent game of crackers is to create a 'pathogen' filled web site with keywords and terms that innocent web searches will return hits on. The crackers also cross link sites and list their sites with search engines so their site comes up towards the top of search engine lists.

So one does an innocent internet search, one of these sites pops up at the top of the list, the link is clicked on and the user finds themselves at a syphlitic site.

The article I read this in said most of these types of sites were based in China and had a CA extension (www.xyz.CA). I tend to stay away from sites with such a designation.

On occasion I get pop-ups with what Corey described. I just close them. The 'pay X amount of money' for results is a garden variety scam. Sure I'll give some pop up any financial information .... Yeah, Right.

With NIS 2006? 2004? I'd have to look for the disk, I never had pop ups or banner ads. Then I upgraded and golly their back. The pop up behinds are the worst.

Yeah, when I close out of a website or Windows Mail (formerly Outlook Express), there's a pop-up waiting behind those! How annoying they are!!:mad:

Back
Top Bottom