Memorial Day Dinner, Monday May 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
So what is everyone planning for today? Picnics? Lunches? Dinners? All-day spreads?

I'm going to grill this evening, burgers and pork chops, with sides of coleslaw and macaroni salad.

My go to the local ice cream stand this afternoon for cones. They put almost a pint of ice cream on a doublel cone!!!! :)

Sounds delicious, Dave.......will probably get son to grill some brats, then bake some beans, present some salad and bread. There's a watermelon that's been cooling in the fridge.......it's so hot now.......

ribs again .. my parents , sister and nephew are coming
over .. will throw some burgers on the grill and some hot dogs also ..
potato salad and baked beans ..
something for dessert .. DW is taking that duty today ..

We'll be grilling turkey burgers (if it doesn't storm later). Also going to make some potato salad and a key lime pie.

Not sure what we'll do if it rains, maybe spaghetti with turkey meatballs.

I've made baked beans, potato salad and homemade hamburger buns. Still have to frost the cinnamon-zucchini bars for dessert. Will mix up the burgers just before time to eat.

We'll have mint juleps to kick off cocktail hour before dinner.

• pico de gallo type mixture but I added avocado, shrimp, and jennyema's habaneros!
  • smoked beer butt chicken
  • corn on the cob
  • broccoli salad
  • spinach, feta, tomato salad
  • grilled red-skinned potato slices rubbed with tarragon/olive oil/salt/pepper
  • If I get my act together I'll do potato salad too

I'm sure I'm forgetting something

BBQ Baby back ribs, grilled tilapia fillets, and marinated chicken for the mains.

Store-bought cole slaw, caesar salad, grilled corn on the cob, homemade yeast rolls, and fruit salad (watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries and grapes).

smoked beer butt chicken
so many times I see folks doing this kind of thing.
I am highly allergic to beer.
Is there anything I can substitue?
Like maybe ginger ale or sparking water?
I know everyone always says the beer cooks off, but the Dr. doesn't know what in the beer I'm allergic to and he's said, "next time, you're toast":huh:

Last edited:
Lefse....
Got Garlic does hers with wine I think, just pour some in an empty soda can. :)

Oh yeah!
Brats and dogs on the grill, a pasta salad maybe.

Lefse....
Got Garlic does hers with wine I think, just pour some in an empty soda can. :)

Sure do. It's an idea I picked up from Katie E last year. Fill a clean soda can halfway with wine (I usually use pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc), then add a clove of sliced garlic and your favorite herb - at different times, I've used tarragon, rosemary and thyme. Sometimes I put some herb sprigs under the breast skin, too. Made one that way yesterday, in fact, with thyme.

We usually eat the wings, legs and thighs the first night, then I use the breasts for other things during the week. I'm planning to make a quiche for an easy breakfast for the upcoming week, and chicken Alfredo for dinner one night.

We are doing fried chicken,I made something a little different for us with penne,crumbled a good bit of feta,cut some grape tomatoes in half, sliced some red onion thin,fresh chopped parsley,made an Italain vinegrette thin sliced cucumbers threw it all together add salt and pepper..Turned out pretty good so say the kids:LOL: we have stuffed onions, salsa,chips,platter of italian meets and cheeses, foccacia,cookies, candy, a relish tray, lot of drinks, brownies and ice cream for dessert..I've now convinced them they will not starve:LOL: So on with the day..Be safe everyone and enjoy your day.
kadesma

Just found out DD and her BF might come for dinner but I was planning this dinner anyway.
Baked ham shank
scalloped potatoes
mustard carrots
salad
The only difference if they come is I will make dessert - either molten chocolate cake or sticky maple pudding with vanilla ice cream.

Decided to spiff up our burgers today, so I roasted a couple of heads of garlic. I'm going to use some to "bury" inside a couple of hamburger patties along with some crumbled blue cheese. Think it should be tasty.

I'll use the remaining head of garlic in another loaf of N.Y. Times bread with more chopped fresh rosemary.

cooking up some country ribs to have with broccoli rabe and potato salad.

a green salad for some balance, and vanilla ice cream (homemade) for dessert. :chef:

Bourbon....(In just a few mo minutes)

Bruschetta....Bread toasted over wood coals...rubbed with garlic...A little topping of chopped tomato, basil... EVOO. A dash of Red Wine Vinegar...S&P

From the BBQ Cooker...

A Butterflied Chicken...
Loin Back Ribs...
Ribs Tips....
Roasted Corn on De Cob

From Da House....

Ranch Beans....
Tator Salad.......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom