Questions on Disability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
My mother in law lives in Minnesota and recently went on disability due to her knees. She's coming to visit us in Iowa next week and we have a feeling she'll end up moving here.

I have no knowledge of disability. Can you transfer it from state to state?

Probably the best thing for you to do is to contact your state agency that oversees "disability" and ask them your question. They would be your best source of information I would imagine. Never having had to deal with the situation, that's my best advice.

My mother in law lives in Minnesota and recently went on disability due to her knees. She's coming to visit us in Iowa next week and we have a feeling she'll end up moving here.

Hi, Angie & Katie E.

I think that it works the same in every state, since it is a nationwide gov't system. I think it CAN be tranfered from state to state.

My mom used to transfer her check from MA. to GA. and back often, so I don't think that there would be a problem with that.

I'm on disability as well, and I believe that I'd be able to do the same thing if I wanted to move out of state.

The feds provide funding, but they expect a match from the state. As a result, each state is similar, but different. I would either have her contact her state and get a number for the appropriate agency, or call the state yourself. There's probably a process involved in moving ... and paperwork.

Good Luck

Disability payments stay with you no matter where you go. Contact the Social Security office when she decides to move and just let them know that she will have a new address. My payments are directly deposited in my bank account so if she wants that done she will have to establish a bank account in the new state and have the payments transferred there.

Disability payments stay with you no matter where you go. Contact the Social Security office when she decides to move and just let them know that she will have a new address. My payments are directly deposited in my bank account so if she wants that done she will have to establish a bank account in the new state and have the payments transferred there.

Thought so.

I'm more than likely going to have to move myself on account I have to climb 3 flights of stairs to get to my apt, but not out of MA, so I'll have to do the same thing once I know that I'll be moving for sure, and where to.

I'm still fairly new to the system though, since I've only started receiving the disability payments this past February.

Last edited:

Yes. You probably can. Ask her what kind of disability insurance she is receiving. Some states offer State Disability Insurance (temporary). You might contact the EDD, or go on line. There's disability from the Fed gov - contact the social security admin - or go on line. Find out if she is receiving Disability insurance through a private pension plan - contact her Pension Plan office... then fill out all the necessary paperwork.

What do you mean by "disability?" What is the source of her payments?

Back
Top Bottom