Gas stove/electric?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vermae

Assistant Cook
I have been bakeing box cakes for years in my gas stove .Now I have and electric and my cakes are a flop.They start out high and soon they almost come flat as a pancake and rubbery.The box says bake at 375% .Is it the same for electric.Should I throw my spatular in the garbage and buy store brought cake?Please help me .:ohmy:

375* is 375*....Gas or Electric....I think the first thing to do is buy an oven thermometer...a pretty good one....Set your oven on 375* with the thermometer inside...after the oven is up to temperature....see what the oven thermometer says!
This may answer a lot of questions...if your oven is cooking "hot" then maybe a service technician could solve your problem..,,,

I have been cooking and baking on electric stoves for 45 years and I've never had anything fail. I suspect you may have a problem with the temperature. Have it checked before you bake anything else, Electric and gas temps register the same.

Assuming everything else is the same (pans, pan size, mixing, etc.) the problem with cakes falling/sinking is usually due to the oven not being preheated long enough, too low of oven temp, or undercooking.

Like Uncle Bob suggested - get a good oven thermometer and check to see what your oven temp actually is - not just what the knob says. My favorite is the Taylor Commercial Oven Guide Thermometer - a wet bulb thermometer that doesn't need calibrating - and you can find most places without a problem ... you can get them for $15 at Target.

375* is 375*....Gas or Electric....I think the first thing to do is buy an oven thermometer...a pretty good one....Set your oven on 375* with the thermometer inside...after the oven is up to temperature....see what the oven thermometer says!
This may answer a lot of questions...if your oven is cooking "hot" then maybe a service technician could solve your problem..,,,
Thankyou.I live in a senior citizen apartment and all the stoves are new.However I will take your addvice and buy a thermometer.This could be the problem. Thankyou all.:angel:

vermae - I understand. The apartments I used to live in had gas stoves (they had for about 30 years) until the new owner decided he could save money by replacing our stoves with electric ones (since he couldn't meter the gas usage).

But, if it makes you feel any better - while I prefer gas for the stove top - I prefer electric for the oven for baking - in most cases.

Thankyou.I live in a senior citizen apartment and all the stoves are new.However I will take your addvice and buy a thermometer.This could be the problem. Thankyou all.:angel:

Hi Vermae,
I agree with all the other posts > 375F = 190C = Gas Mark 5.

However, before you go to the expense of buying a thermometer, I would suggest that you speak with other residents to see if they are experiencing a similar problem. It may be that the problem lies with the appliances installed in your apartment and that your neighbours are experiencing a similar difficulty - but maybe no one has shared this with another resident. As such, I see no reason why you should have to go to the expense of buying a thermometer to check the temperature of your cooker when the problem may be more widespread, especially when you may be living on a limited income.

I subscribe to the BBC Food Messageboards and over the last month there have been many threads detailing marked price increases in the last 2/3months. Also, our newspapers and news broadcasts have been full of details about rising prices, haulage contractors protesting about fuel increases and fishermen in Spain and France unable to take their boats out due to the high costs of fuel. Going out to buy a thermometer to check the temperature may be an unnecessary expense if you, in the USA, are experiencing the same type of food price increases that we are currently experiencing in the UK.

So what relevance does this have to your problem. Simply this, as a senior citizen, if you lived in the UK, I would advise getting the ovens in your facility checked and I don`t believe you should have to pay for this. Rising food costs are more than enough to have to cope with at the moment, especially if one lives on a restricted/limited income - I mean no disrespect by this!

The contractors or builders have a duty of care to ensure that the appliances fitted are "fit for purpose" and, depending upon the age of the building or appartment, I think I`m right in saying that the contractors/builders or manufacturer of the cooker are responsible for ensuring that the appliance does what it says it does, i.e, heat up to the correct temperature as regulated by a thermostat. If the thermostat does not regulate to the correct temperature then I would argue that it is not "fit for purpose" in a facility for senior residents. I would hate to imagine that my 82 year old mother would have to remember every time she put the oven on to 375F that - well it doesn`t really heat up to that and say to herself - "OK, I want to heat it up to 375 to make a cake but uumm - let me think - that means I really need to heat it up to 400F". Buying a thermometer to check the temperature is like you agreeing to do this for as long as you live in the appartment and this cannot be right!

Consequently, it may be that you should not have to pay for the appliance to be checked to ensure that it achieves the correct temperature. So, in conclusion I would advise you, most strongly, to talk with your neighbours and contact the contractors/builders or more importantly the cooker manufacturer and complain. It would be worth checking whether any warranty or guarantee relating to the kitchen installation is still in place, because, from what you have said I don`t think you should be liable for any costs to rectify the problem.

I hope this helps and you are able to get back to creating delicious cakes soon. I know there are some lawyers who subscribe to this site and hopefully they will be able to give you advise re. USA Consumer Law.

All the best,
Archiduc

Thankyou for your thoughtful answer.I will check with some of the ladies and see if they have the same problem.If I can save money that's right up my ally.You be surprised how much money I have wasted by not asking or shareing my problem with others.

I shop at thrift stores as much as I can, and have picked up some real bargains, including a very nice Taylor stainless steel/glass and mercury oven thermometer. Folds closed to prevent breaking. $1.00. I use it. I have a very cheap gas stove here (I rent), and my thermometer tells me my oven temp fluctuation is pretty wide. I put a pizza stone in the bottom of the oven, leave it there all the time. Great for pizza, of course, but it also evens out the oven temp very nicely. Makes cake baking a piece of, well, cake, I guess.

just my thought your problem may very well low voltage coming into you compond.
this could cause your oven to under bake a lot becauce it would take longer to bake

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom