Penne and Shrimp in a tomato cream sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zereh

Head Chef
Made this last week. It was simple and super good. I highly recommend having some crusty bread (with garlic baked into it!) to sop up the extra sauce. I found it on one of the many food blogs that I've been bouncing around on, but can't give credit to the right one because I've forgotten which it was. :chef:
  • 1-lb shrimp
  • 1-lb penne
  • 1 T butter + 2 T butter
  • 1 T olive oil + 2 T olive oil
  • small onion
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • generous 1/2 c white wine (I had some reisling open so that's what I used, it was on the sweetish side but didn't have an adverse effect on the dish)
  • 8-oz can tomato sauce (I'm not a huge tomato sauce fan so used a regular sized can of petite cut tomatoes with basil and garlic)
  • 1 c heavy cream
  • 1 T chopped parsley
  • 3 T chopped basil
  • salt and pepper
Put a pot of water on the stove to boil.

Saute the peeled and de-veined shrimp after they’ve been rinsed under cool water. Heat 1 T butter and 1 T of olive oil in a skillet. Add the raw shrimp and cook for a couple of minutes until just opaque. Remove to a plate and let cool for a few minutes.

Chop a small onion and garlic into a fine dice. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet then add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Stir occasionally.

Put the cooked shrimp on a cutting board and pull off the tails. Chop the shrimp into relatively small, bite-size pieces and set aside.

Add the wine to the garlic and onions and let the wine evaporate for a couple of minutes. NOTE: If you’re not a wine person, don’t worry! You can use low-sodium chicken broth instead. About 1/2 cup will do, just be sure not to add too much salt later.

Add tomato sauce and stir together well. Add cream and stir together well again. Add the chopped shrimp. Give it a good stir, and add some salt and black pepper to taste. Throw in the herbs. A lot of basil in this dish is always a good thing. And stir together until well combined.

Drain the pasta and add it into the sauce. Adjust seasonings one last time. Serve on a hot platter.

:heart:
Z

Welcome and good morning Zereh.
Thanks for the recipe. It looks good from wherever it comes.
I'm gonna give it a shot, because I'll try anything with shrimp in it.
I will, however replace onion with shallot. I just think it pairs better.

Love shrimp & pasta. I might be tempted to make a vodka, fresh tomato cream sauce with whole shrimps. Thanks for sharing & the inspiration.

mmm MMMM!! Copied, pasted and printed out!

Thanks, Zereh! This is great, especially since I have everything the recipe calls for! And shallots, too - good idea, quicksilver!

Thanks, both!

Lee

I just happen to have all of the ingredients on hand right now including the reisling wine, which I prefer, so this will be tonight's dinner instead of grilled salmon. That's for tomorrow.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom