Alternative to bel paese cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i cooking a stuffed chicken breast with cheese , parma ham and aspargus. I have mozarella slices

i cooking a stuffed chicken breast with cheese , parma ham and aspargus. I have mozarella slices

Hi Nicklord,
In the UK we can buy 2 types of Bel Paese cheese. One is like a cheese spread and the other is one which one would slice.

Having said that, one can use a great variety of cheeses to stuff a chicken fillet. However, I`m intrigued to know where the parma ham goes - diced inside or used to wrap and seal the fillet after stuffing and thus on the outside? How do you prepare the asparagus - presumably, trim and blanch before using to stuff the fillet? Personally, I would blanch and cut the asparagus into 1 to 1 1/2 inch lengths and mix with grated Emmenthal and Gruyere cheese (equal proportions) and use to stuff the chicken fillet, wrap in proscuitto and bake. The object in wrapping the fillet in parma ham or proscuitto is to ensure that the filling remains in the fillet and does not ooze out onto the baking tray. The cheese in the interior and the ham on the outside are both salty so beware of seasoning - I would not add any salt, only a tad/touch of nutmeg to the cheese and asparagus mix and a little black pepper to the exterior of the ham wrapped chicken fillets.

You could try other cheeses, with or without asparagus - for example:
* how about a smoked cheese -can you get Applewood smoked cheese or a Bavarian smoked cheese;
* how about Dolcelatte/Stilton and ricotta mixed - ricotta to reduce or ameliorate the saltiness of the Dolcelatte/Stilton;
* ricotta, spinach (cooked, very well drained) and pine nuts.

As you can see I come from a European tradition so I`m not sure of any particular cheeses that you may have in the USA. Perhaps, local dairy farmers have cheeses that you could use.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

archiduc i am from the uk too.

Bascially i prepared it by putting a slice of parama ham and cheese on top of the fillet and then a cooked asapargus spear in the middle and rolled up the fillet and tieing it with cotton then cooking it.

archiduc i am from the uk too.

Bascially i prepared it by putting a slice of parama ham and cheese on top of the fillet and then a cooked asapargus spear in the middle and rolled up the fillet and tieing it with cotton then cooking it.

Hi Nick,

Next time, butterfly the fillet and place the cheese (try a mild smoked one or Rouille/Boursin next time) with blanched, diced asparagus in the centre. Brush the edges of the fillet with egg white and fold over to seal. Wrap in proscuitto/parma ham and brown quickly in OO/EVOO and butter then roast in a hot oven until cooked.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom