NYT in the La Cloche oblong cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
I was notified last night by e-mail from UPS that my new cooker would be delivered today, so I mixed up a batch of NYT goop last night with 2T of my special Italian seasonings (made by my cousin in Florida) thrown in.

img_621405_0_1a9d89ec7501313de144c602b89696fa.jpg

After 18 hours on the counter (had to work today) I finally got to pour out the goop. I lined a shaping basket with 1/2 sheet of parchment paper, then folded and shaped the dough to fit. Look at all those great seasonings. Mmmmmmm....

img_621405_1_25420bcab1efdb1fd866be86dd45616e.jpg

img_621405_2_818c9821007aebc16866cb5c933229dc.jpg

While rising for an hout I preheated the oven and cooker to 450 F. I spritzed the top of the dough with water and sprinkled the top with Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Cereal and popped it in the covered cooker for 30 minutes, then 15 minutes with the cover removed. Here's the final product.

img_621405_3_904f2d787eb8b255c7db71ce2bc94187.jpg

img_621405_4_4c9c66f6b81219a36f744e74b6c865b6.jpg

img_621405_5_8242415fd18bf08e878d03142767f20a.jpg

Next time I will spray the parchment paper. It was a little difficult getting it all peeled off the bread. Overall I'm thrilled with the outcome, and my son said "finally a loaf that looks like a loaf." LOL

Time to take DW out for our Friday night dinner date.

Joe

Last edited:
Oh, it's gorgeous, Joe....and I'm sure it tasted wonderful. I'm not sure I would have had the patience to wait to take pictures before I started slicing into it.....

I made an omelet for dinner tonight with a couple slices of NYT from the oblong cooker tonight, which finished off the loaf. I was a little disappointed in the size of the slices from the loaf, so I'm increasing the recipe ingredients by 50% to see how much larger the loaf will become. It looks like the La Cloche will be able to handle the increased size, but I'll find out tomorrow when I bake the loaf.

I'm also trying something different with this loaf as well, by adding 1/2 C of Craisins, 1/2 C of Raisins and 1/2 C of sunflower seeds. Sounds like it will be a good loaf of bread for toasting. Here's what the mix looks like in the dry and wet forms:

img_624315_0_7aa70443c77c6fd345d7fe0982512b22.jpg

img_624315_1_6f6cba92d984268ce3e22035ee92cb7b.jpg

I'll post the final product tomorrow morning.

Joe

Don't be jealous...be hungry. :LOL:

Wowza! it came out like I expected and is deeeeelish! This one is a keeper, and the profile is a full inch taller, which is what I was after.

img_624458_0_4f7a76ffce0c3174149082ed3fdbd7c5.jpg

Here is the comparison showing the standard loaf vs the 50% larger loaf:

img_624458_1_b511ae389a43759ff462ce92b01e44a5.jpg

Shame on me. I couldn't wait until it was cool to have a hunk of it, so I cut into it and smeared some butter on it. The craisins and raising are very tasty, and the sunflower seeds still have their texture as well.

The only change in the recipe is an increase of 50% for all the ingredients.

I also made a plain standard size loaf after the big one, and as I type this I'm listening to the crackle as it cools on the wire rack. Right now life is dandy.

Joe

So Joe I'm guessing a low-carb diet is out for you???
You really do a wonderful job with all your bread.
Mine turns out so much flatter..... but the texture is right inside.

So Joe I'm guessing a low-carb diet is out for you???
You really do a wonderful job with all your bread.
Mine turns out so much flatter..... but the texture is right inside.

suziquzie,

Are you using a La Cloche oblong cooker for your NYT bread? If you are and the bread comes out flatter than mine, here are a few possible reasons why:

1. With this cooker (and all of my NYT bread) I use 1# of flour instead of the 3 C that the recipe calls for. I still use 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt & 1/4 teaspoon of Instant Yeast, but use 13 oz. of warm water for hydration. This works well every time for me.

2. This one is a real possibility, and I've read about it in several places on the web...the loaf collapses from overhandling or improper handling while putting the risen loaf into the cooker. You can actually deflate the loaf by mishandling. I alleviated this problem by using oiled parchment paper in my proofing basket, then lifting the loaf by the paper's edges and setting the loaf in the cooker.

3. Check your yeast to make sure it's alive and well. I use SAF Instant Yeast that I bought in a 1# package ($2.16 per pound at GFS restaurant supply). I keep 4 oz in the refrigerator and the balance in the freezer. I read a treatise on yeast awhile back, and now only use Instant Yeast.

4. If you are using a round cooker, try using a pot that is smaller in diameter. I can do a 1# loaf in a 2-1/2 qt. Corning casserole dish (square)with the glass lid, or a 2 liter Pyrex bowl (round) with glass lid. Here are two loaves made with these containers:

img_625269_0_459b359dc7e8f904d4292a69b4473749.jpg

Hope this helps.

Joe

I don't know how I missed this! I'm just around the corner (literally), maybe I can smell it baking while driving down the street.......... save me a piece!

Barb

If you can find my house on Champaign Dr., I'll share a slice with you. Hurry, because there's not much left of the loaf. If the van is in the yard, I'm home. Here's a hint, I live right at the stop sign, and the front yard looks like...

img_625274_0_fb3c2018e060d59b0ed9900fb2d5bcdf.jpg

Joe

If you can find my house on Champaign Dr., I'll share a slice with you. Hurry, because there's not much left of the loaf. If the van is in the yard, I'm home. Here's a hint, I live right at the stop sign, and the front yard looks like...

Joe

Beautiful home , Joe !

img_625398_0_fb3c2018e060d59b0ed9900fb2d5bcdf.jpg

Joe

OMG!! You have the lovely fountain in the front yard. I look at that every time I drive by. lol I also live right by a stop sign, Ohio and Buchanan/Hoover) (Does any one stop at yours?) I wish I would have seen this earlier. I was at my moms' condo in Independence putting in flooring in the kitchen, getting it ready to sell. I really could have used a fresh slice of bread. lol

Barb

Ok everyone....I can vouch for Joe's wonderful bread. He actually stopped at the house and brought me four slices. It was fantastic!! He was right..........it didn't last long at all. My son ate two pieces, dh and I had one. I definitely have to try this! I hope Joe doesn't mind that I posted this. He's a really nice guy!! (I told you I literally lived just around the corner from him). It was so nice of him to bring it over, I was shocked.

Barb

Back
Top Bottom