In Remembrance of Our Dear Friend Buck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
It's about 1 a.m., well almost 2 a.m., Thursday here. I just got home from the hospital.

Our odyssey began about 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday. I'd arrived home from my regular day-long shopping trip into "town." The car was unloaded and Buck and I sat down to do our usual porch settin' and talk about how our day went.

Things were going along pretty well until Buck's answers to my questions didn't match ANYTHING I was talking about. He then said that it seemed terribly bright outside and that he couldn't make out any detail on the house across the street.

I talked to him for a couple of seconds and he seemed to get back on track. However, I'd commented to him, just before the weekend and several times during the weekend that he looked awfully "yellow," especially his eyes.

"No, no. I'm fine. It's just your imagination," he said. I wasn't convinced.

Then, again, he zoned out. That's when I called 911 and the ambulance the the paramedics came. THEY asked him if he noticed he was jaundiced. All three of them said it almost in unison.

They did some cursory examinations and when the took his blood pressure it was 96/64!! He has been treated for high blood pressure for years and had taken his meds today.

His forearms were also terribly bruised. They weren't that way when I left this morning.

They loaded him into the ambulance and we made the 30 mile trip to the hospital.

Lots happened, exam-wise, and here's what's up so far. He's anemic, down two pints. Was given a transfusion immediately.
Also given huge transfusion of saline. Both kidney and liver functions are way off. Blood pressure still weird, way low.

He had several more "episodes" in the ER where his comments didn't match what was being talked about. Lights in the room too bright.

He is now in CCU. I left there a while ago. I can't drive at night so my brother who lives about half a mile from me came to the hospital with his wife. Kevin drove me back in my car while Pat followed.

Tomorrow the doc has ordered a CAT scan of Buck's abdomen to see how the liver and kidneys look and to see if there are any masses. Oh, God forbid. Then the doc will go from there.

Visiting hours begin at 6 a.m. and are every two hours. Visits can only be 15 minutes long. I don't know what I'm going to do. It's so far, and with gas at $4/gallon, our funds don't allow for a lot of driving. I'm going to have to choose very carefully.

I'm drained and a wreck. Buck is scared out of his drawers and here I sit in this big old house...alone.

Please, everyone, Buck needs your collective prayers and positive thoughts.

Be absolutely certain Katie, that you and Buck have my thoughts and prayers from this moment until he is well again.
Try to keep your spirits up even though it's so scary.

Katie I am dropping everything and am praying hard right now. Please let us know what you find out. I know you have to be scared out of your mind right now.

Barbara

Katie, ccu, icu..when i was in icu my daughters never left my side..be a big pain if you have to.. Please know, my prayers are with you both..stay with Buck it will wear you to the bone, but you heart and mind will feel better...And it will help keep Buck calm..Get someone close that he cares for to come help..Wish I were closer and he knew me, I'd help as often as possible..Since I'm not, my thoughts are there with you both.
cj

I was thinking the same thing cj. I couldn't imagine them not letting you stay with him Katie. But until you can get back there, is there someone nearby who could come stay with you (or better yet, bring you back to the hospital)? Don't worry about waking them up. Call someone who can help you.

Barbara

Except for my brother, there really isn't anyone nearby. Our dearest friend is out of town 600 miles away and won't be back for a couple of days.

I've been calling the hospital to check on Buck because when I left his BP was 90/28. I called a few minutes ago and it's back up to 120/50.

I'm going to have to "do" this by myself. I just have to figure out how.

Thanks for all your wonderful thoughts. I'll print them out and show them to Buck tomorrow.

I'm glad his blood pressure is better. As hard as it may be to do, you need to try to get some rest. Take a warm bath, then either lie in bed or sit in a comfortable recliner if you have one. And remember you are never truly alone. My prayers are not just for Buck, but that you will feel peace while you are waiting.

Barbara

Barbara, I'm near tears and just can't sit still. I've already done 2 loads of laundry and know I need to get to bed, but can't bring myself to get in it alone.

In the 32 years we've been together, there have only been a couple of days we've been apart. Even when he had back surgery, I slept in the chair in his room. Responsibilities at home and at our shop have changed since then and I have to be "here," too.

I still have pounds and pounds of meats, fish and chicken that I bought that have to be dealt with, too. Can't afford to let them go to waste. I just have to come up with a game plan that works and is efficient.

I know what you mean Katie. Do try to rest in a chair or on the couch now and then though. And a warm bath might help. Will someone be able to take you to the hospital in the morning, or will you have to drive? It worries me to think of you driving with no sleep. I'll be going to bed in about 30 minutes or so, but I will continue to pray for Buck and for you.

Barbara

Oh Katie, I'm praying for the two of you. I don't think I could get any rest if I were in your shoes either.

You're right, you need to come up with a game plan and get done what needs to be done and then get back to the hospital.

I'm sure they will let you stay with him as long as you want whenever you want (just tell them that's the way it's going to be!). It will be a lot easier to get some rest once you get back to the hospital and you can be with him.

Katie:

I am very sad this is happening to you and Buck. Please know you and Buck are in our thoughts. Give our regards to Buck.

My thoughts are with you and Buck, Katie. And let Buck know how we all feel, too.

OMG, Katie, honey, you know my prayers and thoughts are with you!! Please, let us know asap. Take care of yourself too, you can't help him if your wiped out. love and hugs!!

I am so sorry to hear this. Sending loads of positive vibes and best wishes in your way all the way from Rome. Get well soon Buck!!

Katie, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll be thinking of you both. You're a strong woman - I know you can do what's necessary. Best wishes to you and Buck.

Back
Top Bottom