Laptop question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just want to make sure everyone understands we are actually addressing two different problems here. Not that I am harping, I just don't want to see anyone loose their laptop prematurely.

First is overheating. Symptoms include memory errors and program errors (programs suddenly stop working or you get the blue screen of death), disk errors, and laptop shutting down in the middle of operations. If your computer overheats while on a firm flat surface, you have a problem that has to be fixed. First, make sure it is not dusty and all vents are clear of dust. I use canned air, held up-right at all times, and move the laptop into position to blow out all vents and openings and the keyboard. Next, turn the laptop over, place your mouth about 2" max from the vent where you can see the fan, and blow hard. If the fan doesn't move, bearings have gunked up or fan has gone bad, replace it. A good fan will spin when you blow on it and when the computer is on, a bad fan may still spin when the computer is on but not when you blow on it.

Second is computer running hot. It holds just below max temp so it doesn't shut off. This will shorten the life of the computer drastically. If your fan is good, and the laptop is fine on a firm flat surface but overheats on your lap, get a laptop cooler. Even if it doesn't overheat but it spends a lot of time on your lap, get one. The cooler you keep your laptop the better. Also keep the vents clean and clear of dust, the cleaner the laptop the longer it will last. If you run your laptop on a firm flat surface like a desk most of the time, get something to prop it up so there is more clearance under the back of the laptop. Some cooling pads will work for this, but most wont as they are not completely flat on the bottom or they make it uncomfortable to work the keyboard.

Our laptops do not get hot on our laps, my DELL stays cool and so does DW's HP. Mine also does fine on a firm flat surface, but DW's will overheat. This is how I know her fan is bad. If I prop the back of hers up, it will not overheat. I could leave it this way, but I extend its life if I replace the fan and prop up the back and keep it clean.

So for those of you who are having fan problems, replacing the fan and either propping the computer up or getting a cooling pad and keeping the computer clean will give you the longest life out of your laptop.
One is good (replace the fan), two is better (and prop it up or get a cooling pad), three is best (and clean it regularly)!

There IS an accessory that you can get to help keep the unit running cooler. Targus makes it. I'm using one for mine.

Your laptop sits on top of it. There are 2 exhaust fans inside of it that takes away any heat buildup from the laptop and tosses the warm air out the back of the unit.

A couple more good points, college students and checking Bios functions! Thanks LT!

no problem, thats what i do when i need help fast. I call my professor on his cell phone and then go from there. Students love the extra experience and most the time will do it for free. (well i will). But dinner is always nice to. LOL.
some newer laptops,(2004 and above) will have an alarm that will be really loaud when the CPU is overheating and usually when that happens, it drops you clock speeds of the cpu and then shuts off. NOT ALL laptops have that.

If you want i can tell you how to get into BIOS and check settings to see whats goin on..

There IS an accessory that you can get to help keep the unit running cooler. Targus makes it. I'm using one for mine.

Your laptop sits on top of it. There are 2 exhaust fans inside of it that takes away any heat buildup from the laptop and tosses the warm air out the back of the unit.
A few of us have already discussed cooling pads.

:)Barbara

Mav, my Toshiba overheats from bad design. The cool air intake is on the bottom and it exhausts out the left side. It has a multi speed fan which varies in speed depending on what apps I'm running. It's always acted this way since it was new.

The DW has a HP that doesn't have any ventilation through the bottom. It's much more stable and cooler than mine.

Mav, my Toshiba overheats from bad design. The cool air intake is on the bottom and it exhausts out the left side. It has a multi speed fan which varies in speed depending on what apps I'm running. It's always acted this way since it was new.

The DW has a HP that doesn't have any ventilation through the bottom. It's much more stable and cooler than mine.

aw, AMD cool n quite.

Nah, the mobile P4 or whatever.

oh right thats what i meant.. :shifty:

i forget what its called but AMD uses something called cool n quite that controlls RPM's based on temps. the hotter the faster and visa versa. INTEL has the same technology but i do not remember what it is called...

Jeekinz, that is why a laptop cooling pad would be good for you, and elevating the rear of the computer when on a firm flat surface will help. Apparently when you place the laptop on your lap the bottom vent or side vent or both are being partially or completely blocked. Both of my computers are vented exactly the same way, but I never have a problem with mine and DW's actually runs cooler on her lap. So something in the way you are placing the computer on your lap is the culprit.
A design flaw as you call it, but not a mechanical problem. My point was that those with design flaws or just wanting their computers to last longer can take steps to do so, but those with mechanical problems need to fix the mechanical problems not just cover them up or they will have more problems later on down the line.
Makes sense?

And yes, MAC have cooling problems as well, and their laptops vent in similar ways to the way PCs vent. Otherwise they wouldn't sell laptop cooling pads specifically for MACs. Heat is a problem facing any electronics device, some manufacturers do a better job of handling it than others but all have to deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom