Holiday gift ideas wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE MIX IN A JAR

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 cups flour mixed with 1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Layer ingredients in jar in order given. Press each layer firmly in place before adding next ingredient.

Recipe to attach to jar: Empty cookie mix in large mixing bowl; stir to combine. Add 3/4 cup softened butter, 1 egg slightly beaten and 1 tsp. vanilla; mix until completely blended. Roll heaping tablespoonfuls into balls. Place 2" apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350°F for 13 to 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. These cookies will firm up when completely cooled. Yield: 3 dozen.

CRAZY CAKE MIX IN A JAR

2 cups flour
2/3 cup Cocoa Powder
3/4 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 1/3 cups Sugar
(4 cups of ingredients fill the jar)

Combine the sugar and salt and place in a 1 quart canning jar. Add the cocoa powder. Combine the flour and baking powder and add to the jar. It is helpful to tap jar lightly on a padded surface (towel on counter) as you layer the ingredients to make all ingredients fit neatly. Use scissors to cut a 9" diameter circle from fabric of your choice. Center fabric circle over lid and secure with a rubber band. Tie on a raffia or ribbon bow to cover the rubber band.

Attach a card with the following directions:

Crazy Cake

This is a crazy cake because you mix the cake all together in the pan that you bake it in.

Pour contents of jar into a 9x13" baking pan, then add the following ingredients:

3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
2 tsp. Vinegar
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 cups Water

Stir cake ingredients together using a wire whisk or fork, making certain that all ingredients are completely mixed together. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes. Frost as desired or serve sprinkled with powdered sugar, with fresh fruit on the side.

These are also wonderful gifts. Maybe a little late for this year, but there is next year.

FRIENDSHIP CAKE

STARTER

12 oz. or 1 cup sugar
28 oz. can peaches, cut up
28 oz. can pineapple, cut up
2 jars or 16 oz. maraschino cherries, cut up
4 packages white cake mix with pudding in the mix
Chopped walnuts
14 large eggs
1 1/2 cups oil

In a large bowl, mix sugar and peaches. Let stand for 10 days, stirring every day. Add pineapple, mix for 10 days. Add maraschino cherries, mix for 10 days. Drain off all juice. Pour into 12 oz. jars. Starter to be used 2-3 days. Freeze it.

To fruit add: 2 packages of pudding white cake mix, chopped walnuts.

Mix well.

In a bowl, beat eggs. Add oil. Add 2 more cake mixes to fruit mix. Then combine both.

Grease 4 loaf pans. Bake at 300°F for 1 hour. Then freeze.

HAWAIIAN COOKIE MIX IN A JAR

1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup packed flaked coconut
2/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
2/3 cup chopped dates
2 cups flour mixed with 1 tsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. baking powder

Layer ingredients in jar in order given. Press each layer firmly in place before adding next ingredient.
(Makes 4 1/2 cups of mix)

Recipe to attach to jar:

Empty cookie mix in large mixing bowl; stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 egg slightly beaten and 1 tsp. vanilla; mix until completely blended. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls. Place 2" apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Press cookie down slightly with the heel of your hand. Bake at 350°F for 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 1/2 dozen.

ORANGE SLICE COOKIE MIX IN A JAR

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1-3/4 cups flour mixed with 1 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups orange slice candies, quartered (wrap in plastic wrap)
(makes 4 1/2 cups of mix)

Recipe to attach to jar:

Orange Slice Cookies

Remove candies from jar and set aside. Empty cookie mix in large mixing bowl; stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 egg slightly beaten and 1 tsp. vanilla; mix until completely blended. Stir in orange candies. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls. Place 2" apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375°F for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. (Yield: 2 1/2 dozen.)

SNICKERDOODLE COOKIE MIX IN A JAR

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 t baking soda
2 t cream of tartar
1 1/2 c sugar
(Makes 4 1/4 cups of mix.)

Combine the ingredients with a whisk. Place in jar.

Combine: 1/2 c sugar and 1 T cinnamon and place in a small ziploc bag and attach to the outside of the jar. Label the bag Sugar/Cinnamon Blend.

Attach the following recipe:

Snickerdoodles
(makes about 5 dozen cookies)

1 c butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
1 pkg. Snickerdoodle Mix
1/2 sugar
1 T cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°F. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter/margarine until light. Add the eggs and beat on low until the mixture is smooth. Add the Snickerdoodle Mix and continue mixing on low until the dough begins to form. Place the Sugar/Cinnamon Blend in a small bowl. Shape the dough into 1" balls and roll in the Sugar/Cinnamon Blend. Arrange the dough balls on ungreased baking sheets 2" apart. Bake 16 to 19 minutes, or until light tan. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

I just gave out 16 jars of my Habanero Jelly, thinking some may use with their turkey. I just made some more jelly, but used Scotch Bonnet and Rocotillo Peppers. I read this on another website, but I agree, the Rocotillo Hot Pepper Jelly does have the best flavor (to me).

Yum pepper jelly on a ritz cracker with cream cheese.

debthecook said:
I just gave out 16 jars of my Habanero Jelly, thinking some may use with their turkey. I just made some more jelly, but used Scotch Bonnet and Rocotillo Peppers. I read this on another website, but I agree, the Rocotillo Hot Pepper Jelly does have the best flavor (to me).

I was wondering about Rocotillos! On my taste buds, habaneros are "fruity" distinctively. Do you agree? Having never had a rocotillo (but having access to about a quart of them tomorrow), how is the taste different to you? And I assuming we're talking jellies here... I would very much appreciate having your opinion, deb.

Rainee - for your cakes that cook in large-mouthed jars...
how long do they keep, when still sealed in jars?

Thank you so much for all that typing, btw!

I may need to add some of these recipes to the back pages of
our recipe book I make for my annual cookie exchange.

Don't know, things like that don't last very long around out house!

Audeo, I guess the word would be Fruity or Sweeter if you can imagine that for a volcanic hot pepper. Its hot, but the taste is there, not just the blast of heat immediately. I really like the rocotillo, to the point where I think I'll just plant them, scotch bonnet and jalapeno. I did not try the jalapeno this year as a jelly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom