Muscatel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Has anyone heard of this wine before? Is not longer on the shelf and was served at our church for communion and was it good. We used to buy it and drink at home but can't find it. It had like a nutty flavor and as I said we drank at church. Thanks for help.

ITK, I've had the French stuff, very sweet, made from muscat grapes. Didn't know it wasn't made much anymore. But if anyone will have it, you can probably find it at www.wine.com. You also might try www.liquorama.net who specializes in wines now. They DID carry some of the finest single-malt scotch on this planet at unbeatable prices, but some numnut decided that wasn't a good market anymore. Drat! :evil:

Thank you! You wouldn't believe how I was reluctant to ask about this because I thought since I had not seen it for so long people wouldn't know what the heck I was talking about. I surely will try the website and so glad you are informed. Nothing gets past you Hope I have luck because I sure would like to taste something from the past. Thanks again.

Alix said:
LOL to numnut! Don't you hate bureaucrats who mess up a good thing?

Undeniably!

And ITK, I'm just older than a lot of the folks here. Therefore, been imbibing a wee bit longer!!! 8)

I wouldn't blame the bureaucrats for this one. The opposite, really.

It's just capitalism taking its course.

Muscatel is a very sweet dessert wine. Wines like it have fallen out of favor for the American palate over the years. If no one is buying it, it will eventually be hard to find.

You can still find it at larger liquor/wine stores, at least in bigger cities.

If you can't find it, you might try a nice cream sherry instead.

Thanks for making me feel still with it. In my family, we never had much wine. Since we had big family, our priority was being able to have food on the table. Wine was for special occasions and there weren't too many. My brother said only winos probably know what I'm talking about cause it is cheap. At least that is what he thinks. But since you people know I feel better. OUr family wasn't invited over to relative because there were so many of us. I used to think no one liked us. Now I understand why we weren't any where else but our house. Only our mom would feed us. Thanksgiving is important to us because of the values she instilled in us. I am grateful not only at Thanksgiving but everyday for the life she helped us with. Moms are not given enough credit. God bless them all.

ITK,

You are totally with it. In fact, you may be ahead of the curve, as (at least here and in NYC) I am seeing dessert wines gaining popularity in nice restaurants. You do see muscat wines on lots of menus.

Muscatel can be "wino" wine, but so can just about any wine. There are $1000 bottles of chardonnay, for example, and there are $2 bottles.

If you can find a large, well-stocked liquor store, look in the dessert wine section. You may not be able to find the wine that you remember, but you can probably find something similar. If not wine, then maybe some Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry or red Dubonnet might suit you.

As far as your other insights ... "hear, hear" Happy T-giving

Well, we went to super store that handled nothing but liqour. He gave us something that was a liqour not wine. Since he opened the bottle and gave us sample we knew we had to buy it. Now it really isn't what we wanted so our search is still on. I know I will have to get it from the site that Audeo suggested. I feel so bad because my brother wants it NOW and he has bought so many that doesn't taste quite like he remembers. I want him to be happy so I will try once again at one more store and then order over Internet. Life,can be so tiring but such joy too.

OK, this is going to sound weird... but you said it was a communion wine, right?

Here is a site that sells wafers and wine, including Muscatel: http://www.catholicsupply.com/churchs/wine.html

They have a 12 case minimum ... which I assume is too much :LOL: for you, but it did give me the idea that you might want to call up a Catholic supply store and see if you can buyit fromthem. Or find out where they buy their wine.

I will do that but do you think they will wonder if they got me started drinking? I bet they all drink some too, don't you think? That is where I first tasted the wine at communion. Might sound strange but as I said before our family never had extra for such pleasures. I'll let you know. If they don't make me feel ashamed!

I did a search for muscat then muscato [the Italian version of muscatel] cause it sounded familiar - I found listings under muscato - that might help - I could join you on the taste testing...of course I don't know what you remember, but always happy to help! Good luck!

muscato is what they gave me but maybe the brand is not right. Sutter Home brand and the wine is not what we thought it would be. Now my brother wants to mix it with the some kind of other bottle that tastes more stronger but is not a wine but some kind of syrup. Hope he doesn't get sick. He wants to try half and half. Probably konked out now from trying to make it taste like muscatel. Haven't gotten to call the Catholic Supply yet. I do appreciate everyone trying to help me out with this but in the meantime I am buying and still not getting right stuff. I just don't like to have so many opened bottles sitting around.

Don't know why, but whenever I hear or see Muscatel, I think of winos and Thunderbird.

That is what we got when we went to communion. We never had wine in our house and we liked the taste when we got served at church. That is impression people get when I talk about it. Like I want to drink a lot but honestly that is the only wine we had when we were at home. Our dad never drank cause we had other things to worry about. Mainly, large family. Psiguyy, have you ever tasted it? What kind do you drink?

I'm allergic to red wine, so I only drink white, mostly German, and not that often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom