Leftover potroast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ms.santos

Assistant Cook
I've got a ton of leftover potroast & veggies (potatoes, onion, carrots, mushrooms) that I want to serve for dinner this evening. I want to re-heat it, but I'm not sure which way is the best. I cooked it in a slow cooker, and I would like to re-heat it this way if possible, but I am scared of burning the potatoes or something. I saved all the juices and gravy... do you think it will be alright if I warm it on low in the crock pot? How long will this take?

I would put it in a pan on the stove and reheat that way. Specially if you saved the juices. You could use the slow cooker, just take a while to reheat that way. But putting it in a pot with a lid would be far quicker. HTH!

I don't think I'd reheat it in the crockpot due to food safety issues. I'd reheat it either covered in the oven or on the stovetop or in the microwave.

I'd go for the stove top method. If you're short on time, you can use your microwave, but if it's a large portion, I would cut the power to about 50% and check/stir frequently, and not cook it on high.

I reheat this all the time in the microwave. I either have a plate fixed with plastic wrap over it, poke a couple fork holes in the plastic and nuke it on high for 3 minutes, or if it is one meal's worth in a tupperware type container, I will crack the lid open, nuke it til I hear it pop, give it a stir, then nuke it some more.... typically the time works out just a bit longer when it is "bunched up" in a container. It is the potatoes that take longer to heat through. Mine are quartered, medium sized potatoes. It always comes out just as tender as when I first had it out of the slow cooker (if that is your concern.
If I was reheating 3+ meal's worth, then I would probably do it on the stove low and long.

Cube up the roast, mix it all together, and you've got the best stew! Of course you may not be at that level of leftovers yet. You may risk drying out the meat, but reheating it in a covered pan in the oven has always worked for me.

Although you know I haven't been able to make a good pot roast in years, I rely on DH. Sad really, at some point I lost my skill/luck with red meat, everything turns into a hockey puck.

I make extra pot roast because I love to make roast beef hash with the leftovers. It's simple, quick and sooooo delicious.
Chop the roast beef by hand or use your food processor, just chop finely, don't make a paste. Chop the veggies by hand. Add extra onions ( I usually chop extra onions and celery.) Place all this into a skillet with some butter and vegetable oil. Saute til totally heated, then if you have gravy left over pour this into the skillet and heat through. Put some seasoning on if you wish. I like Mrs. Dash's original.

STEW!!!

cut up the meat, veggies, put in the broth. Add some thickening (cornstarch, etc) and serve stew!!
If you want a really good supper, once the stew gets hot, open a can of biscuits but instead of baking them, pop them on top of the stew and put a lid on it and let them steam. they are done when you push on them and they push back.. Stew and dumplings, one of my favorites!

Thanks for all the tips, guys! I had thought of beef stew as well-- but as you said, I do have too much meet left for that. Also, it's quite hot outside, and I have this mental thing about eating soup when it's hot out. (Also have a 15 month old who's not good with the eating of soups yet!) I also try to refrain from using the stove or oven during the summer when possible... a slow cooker generates the least amount of heat.

However-- I think I can make an exception for the HASH! My step mother used to make this all the time, and I had forgotten about it! She used to heat the gravy & juices seperately, and we would smother our plates in the gravy. I loved the crispy bits of meat & taters! I'll have to cut my potatoes in half... I used new potatoes. I like to sop up the gravy with some plain ol' white bread & butter. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Back
Top Bottom