Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Steamed Veggies, How do I make them better (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/steamed-veggies-how-do-i-make-them-better-47474.html)

Run_Out 06-23-2008 03:29 PM

Steamed Veggies, How do I make them better

I have been steaming veggies for the past couple of weeks, I know they are good for you but my goodness how or what do I do to make them taste better.

I use the typical salt/pepper but they seem to taste the same, some suggestions please, I am trying to keep the calories down so no melted butter.

Thanks

bowlingshirt 06-23-2008 03:31 PM

Seasoning goes far beyond S&P. For starters, try lemon juice and garlic.

jennyema 06-23-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingshirt (Post 633001)

And/or try: soy sauce, fish sauce, teriyaki sauce, hot sauce, low fat salad dressing, herbs, spices, blends, etc.

jpmcgrew 06-23-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingshirt (Post 633001)

:smile: That or soy sauce is my favorite way.

QSis 06-23-2008 04:46 PM

Oh my goodness, SPRAY BUTTER!!!

"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" comes in a spray bottle that contains NO calories per serving. A lifetime Weight Watcher's member told me about it and I use it (almost) all the time.

It's a wonderful calorie-saver!

Lee

luvs 06-23-2008 05:50 PM

italian spray saladdressing is great with steamed veggies.

pacanis 06-23-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Run_Out (Post 633000)
I have been steaming veggies for the past couple of weeks, I know they are good for you but my goodness how or what do I do to make them taste better.

I use the typical salt/pepper but they seem to taste the same, some suggestions please, I am trying to keep the calories down so no melted butter.

Thanks

Well, there went my suggestion :sad:

kadesma 06-23-2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSis (Post 633035)
Oh my goodness, SPRAY BUTTER!!!

"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" comes in a spray bottle that contains NO calories per serving. A lifetime Weight Watcher's member told me about it and I use it (almost) all the time.

It's a wonderful calorie-saver!

Lee

I use it to Lee and then add some lemon-pepper yummers:lol:
kades

knight76 06-23-2008 07:58 PM

I find, the best way to make steamed veggies taste better, is to load up your fork with some veggies, but the trick here is to leave a space on the end of the fork. On this space, you can load up all sorts of flavour "enhancing" foods.

Foods like:

Steak
Roast lamb/beef/pork
smashed/mashed potatoes with selective sauce.

Things of that nature seem to work wonders for me and always seem to improve the flavour of the veggies.

VeraBlue 06-23-2008 08:06 PM

And here I was about to suggest butter, lots and lots of butter...

Haven't read all the replies, so I risk repeating some suggestions. How about fresh herbs? Flavoured vinegars? Roasted garlic and a sprinkling of grated cheese? A bit of honey? Citrus zest?

Try roasting instead of always steaming.