Steamed Veggies, How do I make them better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Run_Out

Senior Cook
I have been steaming veggies for the past couple of weeks, I know they are good for you but my goodness how or what do I do to make them taste better.

I use the typical salt/pepper but they seem to taste the same, some suggestions please, I am trying to keep the calories down so no melted butter.

Thanks

Oh my goodness, SPRAY BUTTER!!!

"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" comes in a spray bottle that contains NO calories per serving. A lifetime Weight Watcher's member told me about it and I use it (almost) all the time.

It's a wonderful calorie-saver!

Lee

I have been steaming veggies for the past couple of weeks, I know they are good for you but my goodness how or what do I do to make them taste better.

I use the typical salt/pepper but they seem to taste the same, some suggestions please, I am trying to keep the calories down so no melted butter.

Thanks

Well, there went my suggestion :(

Oh my goodness, SPRAY BUTTER!!!

"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" comes in a spray bottle that contains NO calories per serving. A lifetime Weight Watcher's member told me about it and I use it (almost) all the time.

It's a wonderful calorie-saver!

Lee
I use it to Lee and then add some lemon-pepper yummers:LOL:
kades

I find, the best way to make steamed veggies taste better, is to load up your fork with some veggies, but the trick here is to leave a space on the end of the fork. On this space, you can load up all sorts of flavour "enhancing" foods.

Foods like:

Steak
Roast lamb/beef/pork
smashed/mashed potatoes with selective sauce.

Things of that nature seem to work wonders for me and always seem to improve the flavour of the veggies.

And here I was about to suggest butter, lots and lots of butter...

Haven't read all the replies, so I risk repeating some suggestions. How about fresh herbs? Flavoured vinegars? Roasted garlic and a sprinkling of grated cheese? A bit of honey? Citrus zest?

Try roasting instead of always steaming.

verablue, i concur. roasting veggies is a great, flavorful option, i was just 'bout to post that. i personally love roasted carrot. although i like a tad of oliveoil to let my garlic powder, sage, salt/pepper adhere. you could brush it on very lightly, or spray nonstick spray. same fer grilled veggies- i use my foreman grill fer portabellos often, with worcestershire, garlic, sage, salt & pepper. (pour worcestershire over after cooking.

Last edited:
A question that hasn't been addressed yet is how are you steaming the veggies? I don't mean to imply that you're doing it badly, the fact is I know nothing of your cooking at all, other than the fact that you've been steaming a lot of veggies lately.

Steamed veggies should be pulled out of the steamer while they're still bright. If they start to darken, they're overcooked and will not taste as good.

Oh, and lots of cheese helps too! ;-)

Instead of steaming vegies, I braise them in a little chicken broth, garlic and a pat or two of real butter. Add salt and pepper as it cooks.
A squeeze of fresh lemon juice compliments most any vegetable. You can put it in with the braising liquid, or add it when you plate up the vegies.

:) A little bit of butter will not wreck your diet it's the white bread, potatoes and white rice that is much worse. Try steaming your vegies lightly as you want a little crunch then when done steaming drop vegies in ice water to keep the color and crunch and then drain. When ready to heat just put a small pat of butter in a pan some garlic and salt and pepper and heat vegie until just hot. Or just add a bit of garlic and a little bit of olive oil some black pepper but no salt when done sprinkle a little bit of soy sauce on the vegies. By the way calories are calories so you can eliminate some in favor of more flavor. For instance if you have whole wheat toast in the morning you can skip the butter and just put some jam or better yet some apple butter which doe's not contain butter and save the butter calories for your vegetables instead

do more with veg

Its a tough one, not using butter but there are a few things.

Try boiling some mushrooms in water and reducing the liquid until its pretty thick putting it through a strainer and add some seasoning...take 10 - 15 mins tops.

Alternatively, try putting the steamed veg in cous cous and add some flavoured stock using this video as an guide www. greennectar dot co dot uk and go to the video library for some ideas

or make a nice and spicy sauce using your basic celery, carrot, onion and leeks like in the spicy vegetable video on the same site.
they are both online videos - in the last one bacon is cooked with cabbage but you could also use panchetta.

Back
Top Bottom