Chest freezer temperature?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I'm having trouble with my chest freezer since the flooding. What temperature should it be set at? TIA ~Bliss

All freezers should be below 0 degrees F, preferrably at -20 degrees. Below that your electric bill becomes an issue, but the lower the temperature the longer your food will store.

I aim for 0 F to -10 F for long-term storage. The colder you set the freezer, the higher the electric bill.

Mcnerd and Andy, thank you both for the information!:)~Bliss

For us at work it has to be below -18C = -.4F, I really wouldn't run any freezers above that. If you keep the freezers well stocked they use less power because they are not chilling just air.

Thank you again.
It's only maintaining at 32° F on the thermometer and I can confirm it because the ice is partially melted from yesterday. The freezer is very full and since I can't take a chance of losing all this food I'm getting a new one tomorrow. The freezer is only a few years old but floating in the basement couldn't have been good for it. I wish I knew how to fix things but I don't know where to start. I'm pondering if I should keep it and make a smoker out of it, I dunno. Just thinking. ~Blissful

If its only a few years old, it might be worth the effort to have an estimate made for repairs and you could have a second or backup unit. If its older and not energy efficient, you may find a nice surprise in a lower electric bill.

I'm having trouble with my chest freezer since the flooding. What temperature should it be set at? TIA ~Bliss

We don't need chest freezers up here in Michigan's U.P. All we have to do is open up our jackets when the mercury dips below 0 F' and chests freeze quick enough. Then we have to eat hot soup to warm 'em back up.:ROFLMAO:

I know; G.W., go play in traffic.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

We don't need chest freezers up here in Michigan's U.P. All we have to do is open up our jackets when the mercury dips below 0 F' and chests freeze quick enough. Then we have to eat hot soup to warm 'em back up.:ROFLMAO:

I know; G.W., go play in traffic.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
:LOL::LOL::LOL: not in traffic, go play in the kitchen! (BTW I like your signature-it's so true!)

I got a new one. I am not happy about the glass shelves but they didn't have any available in stock today with normal shelves. Oh well. Life goes on.
The temperature is holding at 0° F so I'm much happier. ~Bliss

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom