Help w/Red Currant Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
I have 2 red currant bushes that are giving me fruit for the first time this year. I have NO IDEA what to do with them. I know I can use them in sauce for meats like pork, and that I can make red currant jam. But I don't have a terrible bunch of them. I have maybe 2 cups harvested and ready to use now. Any ideas?

Thanks

Use with other fruit to top a pavlova, redcurrants looks glowing and beautiful against the cream.

Use with other fruit to top a pavlova, redcurrants looks glowing and beautiful against the cream.

Thanks Lulu and Jeeks. I had to google pavlova. What a delight. It reminds me of a white flan I once made from a Mexican cookbook. If I had anywhere to take the cake I would bake it!!

I am having people over for the 4th of July and that pavlova would be nice (all-American;)). Does anyone know how long the currants will hold once I've plucked them? I have them in a bowl on the counter right now. They were pretty bright red for about a week before I pulled them off the shrub. If I put them in the fridge would they hold another week or so?

Update: What I did with Red Currants tonight

First I'll tell you that I was inspired by this recipe: Chipotle Pork Tenderloin with Red Currant Salsa - FoodFit.com

Here is how I executed it:

Rub pork chops generously with Penzey's Northwoods Fire seasoning, Chipotle Powder, and a bit of fresh chopped rosemary.
Let rest while you make the salsa.

Push 1/2 cup Red Currants through a fine mesh seive so the thick juices run out.
Lightly sweeten the juice with 1/2 tsp sugar.
To the juice add a small dice of:

1 Jalapeno (leave seeds in for a kick)
1 Shallot
1 tsp garlic chives
1 tsp parsley
zest of 1/2 Lime
about 20 whole currants (for texture)

Pan sear chops to medium or medium rare. Top with red currant salsa.

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom