Remodeling Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, guys.

A cool thing has come out of this. Before I heard from the contractor, I had invited both daughters and their SOs for the July 4th parade and a cookout.

When the contractor called, I told my daughters I would be without a kitchen and that I would borrow a neighbor's kitchen to make the dishes that required a full kitchen.

They both offered to make the dishes and bring them for the cookout. I usually do all the cooking. This is our first cooperative dinner and I'm pleased they offered as neither has a great desire to cook.

So we'll be having a picnic in the dining area with paper plates and plastic utensils.

We spent some time this evening clearing out the kitchen, moving furniture and setting up the microwave, coffee pot and toaster oven on the dining area. I can't wait to see the look on my grandson's face as he tries to absorb the changes and figure out what the heck happened!

Good luck Andy!!!! The end result will be worth it. My husband and I spoke of divorce only 3 times during our renovation, one of those 3 times we named lawyers...someone actually said, "Wow, that's not bad" for a whole house renovation! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I love, love, love the countertops!

I LOVE those deep blue countertops!

I wonder why the design guy said no to blue???

My kitchen is very overdue for a makeover ....

I'm guessing it was his own personal preference. Ever notice that many of those designers folks pay biggo bucks for do the spaces in their taste rather than their client's? Otherwise, how come there are so many orange and brown rooms now? Those are not everyone's favorite colors. The designers are "into" them this cycle..... (just my 2 cents ;))

Woo Hoo Andy! It's going to be just beautiful. Here's a little tip for you to survive the remodeling with your relationship intact: Buy your SO a lot of chocolate. I swear, it's like Prozac for us and will make things go much smoother. Also, we can make a meal out of chocolate so no messy things to try and clean up later. Good luck and keep posting updates on how it's going.

Andy,
Your choice of countertop is gorgeous!!!
You will really enjoy cooking in you "new kitchen". It's a pain, now, but when it's finished, cooking will be even more fun.
Enjoy!
By the way, the chocolate is a great idea.

We are at Day #9. The old floor has been ripped up and replaced with a plywood subfloor. We are waiting for the floor tile to come in. That's the very same floor tile the salesperson told me was ALWAYS in stock.

In the interim, the contractor has refinished the window in the kitchen to match the color of the cherry cabinets, repaired scratches on the cabinets and replaced all the hinges and pulls. The cabinets look brand new! He will polish them when all the dust and dirt are behind us.

This past Wednesday, they came to measure for the countertop. They gave a delivery time of 7-10 days.

He also re-worked the French doors out to the deck so it would open and close properly and replaced some damaged trim.

Logistics are a big part of the time it takes to get things done. If the floor tile had been in stock, the floor would be done by now. If the countertop guys had come last Monday, I'd have the countertop sooner. Who knows how long we will have to wait for the plumber.

I have been taking pictures all along.

So far Suzanne and I have been cool. I will be cooking pasta in a pot on the gas grill and reheating frozen tomato sauce in the microwave for dinner this week. I also have a meal of enchiladas in the freezer for later. Lots of sausages and meats in the freezer. Grilled veggies, store bought salads, and restaurants are keeping us going.

Ya know, when I read the other kitchen remodel thread
this morning I wondered what was up with yours, but didn't spend enough time looking for the thread to find it.
Glad things are going good, and you sound pleased.
Wishing further good luck.
Keep us posted.

Oh, and how did they 4th go?

It is now Day #15 without a kitchen.

Nothing has happened since the last update! The floor tile is still not in. Now they claim it will be in the "first of the week".

In the interim, the condo association has put a new roof on the building and arranged for ServePro to come in and do some mold removal and cleanup in the attic. There was a ventilation problem that caused the mold. The new roof has added vents so hopefully there will not be a recurrence.

We all have to be out of the condo on Tuesday for one part of the mold work. I be at my grandson's home that day.

I am getting really frustrated. Trying to wash anything larger than a wine glass in the bathroom sink is a huge pain where the sun don't shine.

I may have to resort to using my cast iron skillet in the gas grill (no side burner) for bacon and eggs this weekend. I miss a good breakfast.

"These are the days that try mens' souls."

15 days feels like dog years?

Hopefully, things will start to come together, bing, bang boom.
And should you ever need to, due to some calamity of nature, you and yours will manage, and infact be able to help others.
(But I have to say, that grilled breakfast sounds fantastic, if you only had some place to clean up.)

...(But I have to say, that grilled breakfast sounds fantastic, if you only had some place to clean up.)

That's the downside. No matter how creative I may get with heat sources, cleanup is the drawback. Cutting boards just don't fit into the BR sink.

Andy,
Keep telling yourself, "Soon it will be finished and well worth the trouble".
When it's finished, you can make a wonderful meal with lots of pots and pans to clean up afterwards.

Oh gosh, Andy, it seems like everything always takes twice as long as you figure in the beginning...I can identify with your misery, having remodeled our whoe house here in Mexico. In some ways, I think remodeling here is simpler - fewer building codes and more basic construction methods. On the other hand, at least you can talk to the people who are working on your kitchen...here, there is always a language barrier. The latest guy who has come to work on our leaking roof speaks no English and very little Spanish. He is indigenous, and speaks only Nahuatl. Jeepers.

Sounds like you're coping pretty well, though. Keep smiling.....this, too shall pass. Really.

Andy, TIP FOR CUTTING BOARDS.

I have one corningware (yes, corningware, very old)
and one wood cutting board.
That's all I usually need, unless I get help from my visiting neice.
The best then becomes:
PAPER PLATES.
they work great, and no clean up, especially for meats.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip. I have been using a lot of disposable stuff. I have limited mysepf to one knife, a 5-6 inch serrated 'tomato' knife. It's sort of all purpose, plus I'm not doing a lot of prep work.

Sometimes, you need a board. I am trying to use only the smallest ones.

hey andy,

remember when you got miffed at me for being pessimist about your redo.

now you have experienced what i was talking about. i am sure it will get finished sooner or later. just a big pain til it is.

babe:cool:

Back
Top Bottom