Send it back!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knight76

Senior Cook
Who here is a real stickler for food quality at restaurants and sends food back often?

What is the worst thing you have sent back?

For me, it depends where I am, if I am at a nice expensive restaurant and my food comes out not as ordered I will send it back quick smart. When I say medium, I mean medium. If I am in some cheap bistro I cut them some slack. Recently we went to a new restaurant on the central coast. Being part of a rugby leagues club I wasnt expecting much. I ordered T-Bone steak Medium and ended up with dry well done. I did not send it back on this occassion as this place was obviously one rung above a club bistro and I knew I would get it back the same.

The worst thing I have sent back was a steak cooked by a very well know steak house. It just smelled bad, like washing water after a load of washing has been put through it, it didnt taste too great either. So back it went. That is the worst steak I have evry had.

Obviously this thread is inspired by the chinese chicken not chicken thread.

Sometimes I send it back, other times I just make sure they know it was not the best or done right. We eat out alot and really try not to be whiners... but definately try to let them know when something is not right.

If I mention something is not quite right and they offer to adjust the bill or fix it, that I appreciate although this is not what I am always looking for. If I mention it and that is all that is said about it, well, then your tip may suffer a bit for not listening to me!

Sometimes I send it back, other times I just make sure they know it was not the best or done right. We eat out alot and really try not to be whiners... but definately try to let them know when something is not right.

If I mention something is not quite right and they offer to adjust the bill or fix it, that I appreciate although this is not what I am always looking for. If I mention it and that is all that is said about it, well, then your tip may suffer a bit for not listening to me!

Well that is a whole nother story, Tipping. I absolutley hate the madatory tipping thing in the states. Here in Aus, I tip if the meal or service is great. If I do not get good service then there is no tip. Tipping in Aus is not mandatory or expected. At least from my experience.

Very different in the US where it seems to be just expected, and even if your service is bad it just varies the tip amount. From what I understand, tipping is necessary in the US to supplememnt otherwise low wages, is this accurate?

Well that is a whole nother story, Tipping. I absolutley hate the madatory tipping thing in the states. Here in Aus, I tip if the meal or service is great. If I do not get good service then there is no tip. Tipping in Aus is not mandatory or expected. At least from my experience.

Very different in the US where it seems to be just expected, and even if your service is bad it just varies the tip amount. From what I understand, tipping is necessary in the US to supplememnt otherwise low wages, is this accurate?

I'm not sure about it knight76.... I know that here in the states, that the pay is meager and most of them make their money on the tips. I have a hard time stiffing someone. (No way do I intend that is how it is done in Aus, but I think if they knew that they could stand to make a few bucks for exceptional service and care that my food is as I expect/order, I sure would make sure that my customers get only the best and be helpful if it is not the experience that they come to enjoy.) Unless it is just blantantly bad service/care/food, I don't think there was ever a time that I have not left a tip. Most of the places I go I frequent on a regular basis and voice my opinions as a service to the places I like the most. If it is a new place we are visiting and I get bad service/food, and the management/waiter is not helpful or interested in making it right.... I don't bother going back or reccommending it to others.

I guess that might be why some folks don't care, they know or expect that they will get a minimum tip reguardless of the service or food.

Hopefully that all came out right. I get great service and food, you can bet you are gonna get a better than average tip!

I have no food allergies or special requirements so the only reason I'll send food back is if it's cooked badly or is inedible. The worst thing I've ever sent back was overcooked Ahi Tuna. I don't expect perfect food each and every time from the average $20/plate restaurant, I know everyone has bad days, so if I need to add extra salt I will. If the food is overcooked or undercooked or smells/tastes sour or off, it's going back regardless.

Plus, I have heard comment from some serving staff at some restaurants, that all tips received go in a jar and are divided up among the serving staff. Which I think rewards the mediocre and takes money from the good people.

The worst thing I ever sent back was a MacDonald's Big Extra that had more salt than meat. Okay, so Mickey D's is not a fine dining restaurant. However, I don't have to be subjected to a heart-attack on a bun. I went up to the counter and said "this burger is way too salty". The guy says "well you have to order it unseasoned if you don't want any on it." I say "no, I like seasoning but this has a whole box of salt in it." He says they are all seasoned alike and I say take a bite. He says he can't do that, and I say get the manager. The manager says if you don't want your burger seasoned you have to ask for it that way. I say fine, just give me a new burger and I will be fine. So, they give me a new burger "no seasoning". I mean none....nada....zilch. No salt, no pepper, no nothing. Just a bun and a patty, no lettuce, tomato, sauce. I open it up at the counter, take one bite, set in on the counter and walk out.

The funny thing is I have had food I have made in restaurants sent back because it was not seasoned enough. Every instructor, boss, collegue all say I am too timid with salt. I like some, but not enough that this is all I taste. I don't care if it is the most expensive restaurant in town or McDonald's.

That again, is a whole nother thread on stupid take away.

I once ordered a burger from burger king and specifically asked for no tomato. This was drive through, so we drive home, open it up and lo and behold, there is my slice of tomato sitting on top of my bun. Not only that, but the burger also had tomato in it anyway.

I was cracking up for ages about that one, I mean, what was this person thinking? Since when has anyone on the entire planet ordered a fast food burger with the tomato on TOP of the bun?

Another time, this one from McDonalds, drive through again, the Ute (truck) in front of me pull up to the window and a dog sticks its head out. The window attendant gives the dog a good pat, then proceeds to hand them their food, and then our food when we got to the window. :sick:

Tipping is not mandatory anywhere in the US, although most restaurants do now add a tip for parties of 8 or more. Some restaurants make all the servers, etc. share the tips, but I don't think most do.

I think the last thing I sent back was a salad. I can't stand cucumbers, and even if I manage to pick them all out I can still taste them. I always ask that my salad have no cucumbers. I once got a baked potato with a huge black center. I definitely sent that back.

:)Barbara

Tipping is definitely not required in th US. I adjust th percentage of my tip based on service. I send very little back, since I am fearful of what would happen in the kitchen then. There is a video on that somewhere, it's not pretty.

The IRS assumes that a certain percentage of either the restaurant's gross or the staff's salary, I forget which is a tip and demands tax be paid on that business.

I also think tip shareing is unfair to good performers.

I seldom send things back. Sometimes I am not crazy about the way my dinner is but it usually comes down to the fact that I just don't like it. I did send a stuffed portabello mushroom back yesterday. It was room temp, not cooked enough and just not edible to me. By the time the server made her way back to me, I no longer had the desire to try another.

We went to an Indian restaurant, ordered 2 dishes. Shortly after, the waiter appeared with our order, set it down and one of he dishes was not what we ordered. We told the waiter, he apologized, left both dishes there and returned with the proper dish ( so now we had 3 dishes, and yes, all of them were vegetarian, no soy chicken!!!). WHen we tried the dish we didnt order, it was great, and now we order it every time we go there. I guess they figured they would either have to throw it out, or serve it to the staff. So, by leaving it with us, we were able to sample something new and it worked out for both of us. Honestly, If I knew what the dish was, and I knew I was going to like it, I just would have told them to forget the originally ordered dish, but since we hadnt tried it before, I didnt want to risk my dinner over it .

I sent back a steak once. I asked for medium rare and it was rare and COLD! The only other time I sent a dish back was because it was not what I ordered. THe waitress set the dish in front of me and it was not anything I had asked for. She reviewed her ticket and apologized. Returned a few minutes later with the correct food. As far as tipping, DH doesn't like the system of 15% or 20% of the food bill. Servers in less expensive restaurants work just as hard if not harder than ones in the high end places so he doesn't think we should tip more just because we paid more for the food. We tend to have a standard amount we tip.

I will only send food back if there is a major problem such as chicken that is not cooked through, completely wrong order, cold food that should be hot, etc. I will always be pleasant about it though. I do not need anyone taking out there frustration or anger with me on my food.

My standards also change with the type of restaurant I am at. If I am at a $50 a plate type of place then I will be more prone to send my steak back if it is not cooked the way I asked. If I am at The Outback though and I order med-rare and it comes out medium then I eat it without saying anything.

I tend to be a stickler when it comes to just about everything. Having said that, it's rarely necessary for me to ever send anything back. I frequent establishments that have top notch culinary/service staffs almost exclusively. I work hard enough for what I get paid...and don't mind paying for a great meal, but service and attention has to be spot on for me.
I understand that occasionally, a kitchen can have an off day. Sometimes a sauce doesn't taste the same way it did previously...but under or over cooked anything always gets returned. Luckily, it hardly ever happens.

Last time I sent something back was this past New Orleans trip. I ordered filet mignon, rare. It arrived medium well. It went back and a new steak was presented, cooked perfectly.

Time before that was at a restaurant on Mulberry Street in Little Italy. The entree came with a side of pasta. Clearly, the sauce had burned in the pot. There is no mistaking the taste of a burned pot. That went back. Another plate arrived with sauce that tasted fresh and redolent of basil.

Other than those two recent (and one was close to a year ago) events, I cannot recall the last time I sent anything back.

i ask fer a manager instead & get comped, then leave, hungry or not. don't want foreign matter with my food.

Back
Top Bottom