ISO Oven baked brisket info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi gary,

I removed your other thread because it will be confusing to keep up with both. Just thought I'd let you know.

Not sure exactly how long but I can tell you it needs to reach an internal temp of 190/200 range or so. It could take as long as 8 to 10 hours (or longer) low and slow i.e., 225 degrees F.

I wish I could help more but I'll have to a bit of research on the time.

If you're planning on doing stuff like it on a regular basis (or just love cool kitchen gadgets) get a probe thermometer that you can leave in the meat that has a lead that runs out of the oven to the readout. I got a cheap one from Wally World for less than $20, and it works great.

The advantages to this are that you can check the internal temp of large pieces of meat without opening the oven or making a bunch of holes in your meat... And most of them have an alarm you can set for a specific temperature, which is great if you are doing something else at the same time...

I do big cuts of beef like that fairly often for work. I generally trim off most but not all of the visible fat first. Apply a generous rub at least the night before, but up to 48 hours is fine.

Set the oven to 300. Put a bottle of wine or the equivalent of stock into a roasting pan, then the meat and any juices that accumulated in the pan you kept it in. I would put this in the oven at 6am....and it would be ready for service by 10:30-11am. Let it stand about 20 minutes before you carve it. My oven is convection, by the way.

Wow, I'm doing a brisket in the oven now as I type this.... but it is only 4 lbs! Anyhow, I'm sure you will get good advice here. I don't know much about cooking large quantities of food. Actually quite the opposite... I try to cook just for two!

Back
Top Bottom