Nonstick cookware maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Insanity

Assistant Cook
I'm confused as to how to properly wash and care for nonstick pans and such. Some books and cooks tell me that you should never wash nonstick pans in soapy water, and some even go as far as to say never to use water to wash it -- just wipe it off with a towel and you're good to go. However, when I look on websites and such, they say the way to wash nonstick pans is with warm soapy water.

Which side is right? Is the former confusing nonstick cookware with cast iron?

Wash them in warm soapy water.

Some only wipe thiers off but that dosn't sound like a very good practice to me.

The only nonstick I use a wet towel to clean are the George Foreman grills and that's be cause they aren't emersable.

Washing them by hand in warm soapy water is fine...I wouldn't put any of it in the dishwasher, though.

Use non scratch sponges and wash with soapy water. I think you might be confusing cast iron (which can be a very "non-stick" surface) with Teflon type non-stick pans. Cast iron you generally do not want to wash in soap, but Teflon is fine with soap and water.

My non-stick skillets are either plain aluminum on the outside or enameled aluminum. I regularly put the enameled ones in the dishwasher. The plain aluminum will discolor in the DW.

I have no mercy on my non stick, warm soapy water all the way!

It's my cast iron and pampered chef stones that get hot water and some form of scrubber on them, no soap.

Yeah, I would not use soap and cast iron, don't want to remove the seasoning!

i put everything into my dishwasher, realizing that it will eventually have to be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom