Prosciutto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A neighbor brought over a ton of this and we used it on a pizza. Now I have leftovers prosciutto. This stuff is always cured and therefore safe to eat cold and raw, right? I am not sure what I am doing with it yet; I just wanted to get the safety question addressed right away.

Yes, it's wonderful to eat as is.

Let us know if you want suggestions on how to use it.

Lee

Just so you know, it may look raw but it is not - it is cured, therefore "cooked".

Wrap it around thin slices of cantelope - YUM

Hold it up high and just lower it into your mouth! The BEST! :LOL:

Steam some asparagus lightly, take a slice of prosciutto and slather with some chevre (goat cheese). Take 1/2 slice of prosciutto (width, not length) and wrap around a few spears if they are fat asparagus, about 4 if they are thin asparagus. Drizzle with a mixture of 1 of clove garlic, 1 TBS chopped chives, 3 tsp red-wine vinegar, 1/2 TBS Dijon mustard (1/2 TBS - 1 1/2 tsp.) Drizzle this over wrapped asapragus - YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

If you make paninis you can do a mixture of prosciutto, roasted red pepper, water-packed mozzarella sliced, mixed greens, fresh basil or basil oil drizzle, and grill.

I wish I had a neighbor like you do!!!!!!

You have a nice neighbor because prosciutto is very expensive. Sliced paper thin that stuff is great to add with smoked provolone cheese and make sandwiches or use it like you would sliced lunchmeat ham.

I've wrapped prosciutto around steamed asparagus spears and drizzled with Italian dressing.

Like KE, I like to just pop a piece into my mouth when I get a chance.

Chicken Saltimbocca? Wrap a chicken breast (or thigh) with a large piece of prosciutto. Secure with a toothpick. Pan-sear, flip, and finish in the oven until done. Deglaze the pan with some white wine and chicken stock, and tighten into a pan sauce.

Shred some and mix into a salad.

I made a small 3 oz batch of balsamic vinaigrette by making a confit of shallots and garlic in EVOO, cooling it, then adding some balsamic. A small slice of parmegiano reggiano, a slice of prosciutto, and drizzle with the vinaigrette.

Chicken and veal Saltimbocca is my all time favorite dish to make. Pound veal or chicken breast thin then lay 3 leaves of fresh sage over each breast, top that with a couple slices of prosciutto, take the dull edge of a chef's knife and pound into the meat "setting" the prosciutto in place. Dredge in flour, then brown quickly in olive oil. Place breasts in a slow 300 degree oven and top each with a slice of fontina cheese.
While breasts are in the oven (no longer than 6 minutes) whisk together 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/4 cup Marsala wine, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Add very cold butter, one thin pat at a time and swirl til the sauce thickens. Season with salt then plate the breasts topping each with 2 or 3 Tablespoonsof the sauce. Sheer heaven. This is one of the best things you can put into your mouth and the whole process takes about 15 minutes. The combination of prosciutto, sage and the melted fontina cheese topped with that fabulous sauce is unbeatable.

Thinly slice a baguette. Place a piece of gruyere or Jarslberg on it. Slice the prosciutto in half lengwise, wrap a piece around the bread. It will adhere to itslef. Heat in a 375 oven , or place under a broiler until the cheese is melted. Or, since it summer and hot here, place on the grill . Really fast, really tasty!

Or, julienne it, fry it up, and place on halibut.One of my faves!

I just went through a pound of prosciutto today. Wrapped strips of prosciutto and smoked provolone around cantaloupe and honeydew balls. Set 'em on a bed of finely shredded unsweetened coconut, and sprinkled the tops with same. Chilled them before heading for the potluck. No leftovers. Prosciutto is only unsafe if you hover over it and block access.

For dinner last night I wrapped prosciutto around prunes and put them under the grill for 2 minutes. It's supposed to be an appetizer, but since the men have all gone camping, it made a great dinner. Glass of Touraine-Mesland rosé alongside. Prosciutto happiness.

all of the above! and if you happen to be lucky enough to also have the narrow end, it does wonders when cooked in a pot of Pasta Fagiole!

For dinner last night I wrapped prosciutto around prunes and put them under the grill for 2 minutes. It's supposed to be an appetizer, but since the men have all gone camping, it made a great dinner. Glass of Touraine-Mesland rosé alongside. Prosciutto happiness.

I'm assuming you mean under the broiler not the grill.

That is funny to me that you say that. Yeah, I mean the broiler. Since I'm an overseas gal living in France, I belong to a forum of expats, who are nearly all English folks. When I say broiler, they wonder what I'm talking about. Language is more like juggling for me these days.

try this

make an eggs bendict on English muffin, pros. ham (cooked or uncooked) on top of that, poached eggs, hollandise sauce and blanched asparagus in the middle of the muffins. It is very good, we do this at one of the places in work for in the morning.

At a wedding tea I catered recently, and strictly for presentation, I put a round of brie on a plate and then surrounded it with slices of prosciutto which I kind of wadded up. The reason was there wasn't room on the meat and cheese trays for these two items, plain and simple. On the side was a basket of baguette slices and various crackers.

Well, people were taking a piece of prosciutto, slathering it with some brie and sticking it on bread or crackers and heading back for more. It was one of the hits and everyone remarked how the flavours went together. Not going to admit to them it was an accident!

Mix with ricotta filling for calzone. Makes a nice sandwich with some mozarella and roasted peppers. Pretty good layed between slices of chicken beast and mozarella. Was great on the toasti I used to eat in Bologna. Should be good in a cream sauce on pasta.

Mix with ricotta filling for calzone. Makes a nice sandwich with some mozarella and roasted peppers. Pretty good layed between slices of chicken beast and mozarella. Was great on the toasti I used to eat in Bologna. Should be good in a cream sauce on pasta.
Makes a wonderful paninni as well;)
kadesma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom