Help Planning a cold "Vegan Menu"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I am looking for ideas for a cold vegan menu. Now it does not have to be truely vegan. It can contain eggs mut no meat fish or dairy. I am a meat an potatoes guy myself. I need to come up with an appatizer, entre, vegtable and a starch. I can cook in advance but all cooking will have to be done roughly 18-24 hrs in advance. Any and all advice is appricated. Thanks in advance,

I am looking for ideas for a cold vegan menu. Now it does not have to be truely vegan. It can contain eggs mut no meat fish or dairy. I am a meat an potatoes guy myself. I need to come up with an appatizer, entre, vegtable and a starch. I can cook in advance but all cooking will have to be done roughly 18-24 hrs in advance. Any and all advice is appricated. Thanks in advance,

not much help from me but hang in , plenty of ideas will come your way.

babe:rolleyes:

Several great salads (all T&T) - will post if interested:

Main Dish Salads:
Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries
Thai-Style Pasta Salad

Side dish Salads:
Carrot Rapee
Carrot, orange, radish salad
Citrus Green Bean Salad

How about a cold gazpacho salad ( could be jellied) or cold ratatouille, cold pasta
with red wine vinaigrette. a mixed fruit salad. assorted melon slices. antipasta with out the meat.

VEGETARIANTIMES.COM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highly recommended. i have been a vegetarian for the past 8 monthes and this is a VERY GOOD source for vegetarian and vegan cooking. good luck!

p.s. don't worry, there are easy recipes there too. vegetarian cookin isn't nearly as scary as many people think it is.

I had to do this fairly recently!

Instead of a salad I did crudite with a couple of vegan dips, the main star was a dish of the Iman Bayaldi (The Iman fainted) whish is just deliecious hot but I prefer it cold! And I made a sweet/soury courgette dish with pinenut and raisins (gorgeous) I also did couscous heavily studded with finely chopped veg and raisins and nuts, and a vegan chocolate cake (that my mother's gardeners who had the left over cake now demand I make for them at least once a month).

We happen to eat vegan food quite a bit, we are far from vegetarian but there happens to be a lot of vegan food I like. Indian and middle eastern is a good place to start looking for ideas that are tastey enough to knock you out with what you have (rather than miss what isn't on the plate).

If you are interested in any of the above I can dig out the recipes with not too much difficulty.:)

Oh, dear. You need help.

Hummus. Take a can of chick peas. Mash with olive oil and the garlic seasoning of your choice, lemon juice and olive oil. Actually I've had to make this for vegan friends several times and it is always a big hit. I use an immersion blender and mix it right in the can! Juices and all. Yes, I said olive oil twice. In and dripped over the top.

Baba Ganoush is the other. You can find many recipes for it on line.

Potatoes and cauliflower are a great combination. You can cook both in advance and toss with olive oil, mustard seed.

Appetizer: Slice and toast French bread, rub one side with a clove of garlic cut in half. Spread with Tofutti. Marinate roasted red and yellow peppers in red wine vinegar, olive oil, dried thyme or oregano, salt and pepper. Top bread with marinated peppers.

Entree: You've gotten lots of good ideas for this. Ratatouille (stewed veggies) would be great; it's even better made the day before, since the flavors mingle. It would be better served at room temp.

Vegetable: Salad with mixed greens, raw veggies and a creamy dressing.

Starch: I make a nice couscous salad with grilled veggies and a vinaigrette with white-wine vinegar. Can be served cold or at room temp.

And a beautiful fresh fruit salad for dessert - or brownies :) HTH.

Back
Top Bottom